Picked Up Some Female Dwarf Gouramis Today

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
... from Petco of all places. Was really surprised to see them. They'll be going into a 10g guppy tank for population control. I was planning on putting RCS in the tank too but with the gourami impulse buy, I'm second guessing it. Anybody have luck keeping gouramis and shrimp together?

Here they are waiting to get acclimated to their new tank:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Nice! I have a gourami that was in with some RC's, and the gourami would eat any shrimp not wise enough to hide itself.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have 2 dwarfs in with shrimp, the adults get left alone shrimplets will get picked off though. Mine might be dumb though, Platy's had fry a few days ago and I still see quite a few of them hiding in the plants.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Yea dwarf are definitely shrimp eaters, not sure how good they will be at guppy population control though.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I'm actually worried they might be too good at population control. I'm starting off with four guppies and hoping the population picks up from there. I was thinking about breeding the dwarf gouramis in the future for experience (would love to move on to breed other gouramis like the chocolate gourami). So, would anyone here be interested in home raised dwarf gouramis in the future? I'm guessing the females might be a bit popular considering how rare they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store