moving homes soon. help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tabbykay

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
sevierville tn
Real Name
Tabitha
so I am moving in a week or so and i will be taking my fifty five gallon along for the ride. I am worried about moving my beloved fish and I am planning on usuin baggies for their shortt journey and keeping the gravel and about a fourth of the water in the tank during the move so that i wont be having to redo all thw water. but what my main concern is besides the fish themselfs is the tank. it is not entirely new about six years old and ive noticed a bit of peelin on the corners of the sealent and do youi think i should put a new coat on all the edges before i make this move? and any tips on keepint my fish stress free would be very helpful.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I have seen where people use small rubbermaid bins to move fish. I would probably do that to minimize the stress. Personally I would put the gravel and some water in a large rubbermaid bin and throw your filter media in there as well if you use hob filters. That way you can move the tank empty and if anything should go wrong (god forbid) then you dont loose your water, gravel, and filter media and have to start all over. You would just have to get a replacement tank, throw in the gravel, water, and hook up the filter. (I would probably let the filter run for a half hour to an hour let it hopefully get all of the water close to the params your fish are used to.) There is less of a chance that the tank would break while empty than it would with the gravel and water left in it.

tabbykay

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
sevierville tn
Real Name
Tabitha
okay i will just have to go buy all new tubaware and things for the move. and im going to go ahead and re seal it and then when it is being moved i will stuff the tank with old blankets and towels andwrap it as well since movingi is expensive and i wont be able to replace the tank right away if broken

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
If you cant replace it right away, I would deffinatly make sure it is secure and protected. How far are you moving? If it isnt too far you could get away with the fish in bags.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
55g are cheap, just buy a new one. Then you can use your old 55 as a temporary holding area until the new one is ready. IMO not worth the hassle of fixing a relatively cheap tank.

Or... what I would do (actually, I would) is use the move as an excuse to upgrade. Spend $2-$3k and get a nice new tank, 120g, shiny, hmmm..... DO IT!

Oh, and make it a reef tank!

tabbykay

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
sevierville tn
Real Name
Tabitha
dont have any spare money after the move im 21 with a fixed budget even replacin a 55g would be a feat thus why im trying to keep in the best shape it can be

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Thats not bad, are any of your fish agressive? You might be able to get away with filling one or two bins full of water from your tank and putting all the fish in there. Then you save a lot more water, and dont need a ton of bins, just make sure you have another person to help you lift the bin. 1, because it will be heavy 2, because if you drop it, there go your fish.

the1stpsycho

AC Members
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Depending on the distance, I have had great luck with ice chests for fish. They keep the temperature relatively the same. Barring extreme cold and heat. I had good luck transporting an oscar on and overnight trip. He had a battery powered air stone for the ride, and a filter overnight. A 20 minute move isn't terrible for you fish. They should be just fine. Buckets with lids work really well to haul water as well. Carrying water in tubs is hard, they aren't really meant to carry the weight that water puts on them.

Be very gentle with your tank. I made the mistake of sliding my tank in with another load of stuff during a move and cracked it. Moving just the tank, and the fish at the same time might make things a little bit easier. Speaking from experiences, don't try to force a tank into another load of stuff!

Good luck with the move for both you and the fishies!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I moved 4 55's across town putting them in the back of a van, I took the water out but left the flourite, moved the fish in rubbermade bins with my plants and filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store