Baby Oscar rubbing right gill on rocks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
I've noticed just recently that my baby Tiger, at 3 inches, is occasionally racing up to rocks to press his gills against them, as if just to scratch them. I've cheked him and the other fish over, and htere's nothing on his gills, or anything wrong with his behaviour. The temperature is about 80, so I'm kinda ruling out ich, that and he's not showing anything.
Might he be just itchy? IT seems when he is he races over to the rocks to scratch, then is all fine.
Just wanna make sure this isn't anything huge x.x

Shane

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Pearl City, Oahu, Hawaii
Visit site
Baby oscar rubbing gill

Aloha!,

Even though your oscar may be in distress, sometimes this is caused by a few factors. As they mature, some scale production can cause irritation, so they "Scrub" their gills. Also an abrupt change in water quality will cause this. I recommend that you watch closely for any growths, sores, and extreme darting. If these are not coming up, relax... Just keep the diet good and consistent. FREQUENT water changes!(required for astronatus ocelletus) and removal of uneaten food/waste. They will provide you with years of good keeping and smiles.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
As a precaution I'd start a 5 day course of Sterazin. Of all the cichlids I've kept I've never seen any gill scrubbing, but I'm sure it is a possibility. Gill flukes would be my biggest concern, and they are not visible to the human eye, and can inflict more damage than body flukes. If flukes have got into his right gills, they can eventually spread to cause eventual death. Sterazin won't harm nitrifying bacteria, so if it isn't flukes then no harm is done. But it is definatley the first precaution I would take.

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
The Sterazin

I have him in a 100 gallon, so will the sterazin be moderatly cheap to purchase to cure the entire tank? I haven't gotten much of a hospital tank set up, only because my tank purchases are moderated by my mother and she thinks 4 in my bedroom are enough ^-^;;;
If I can get the sterazin stuff at petsmart, I'll get it, and the next largest tank to my 100 I have currently set up is a 10 gallon with a betta in it...and the oscar would probably be very peeved to be moved into it. ( I have other empty tanks for the bettas, running fishless cycles at the moment )

Thanks for the info. The tank is in my room, and I'm in my room nearly all day, so I've been keeping an eye on Oscar. He hasn't done any rubbing for a while, which is okay, I've only seen him do it maybe every other day, and haven't for a while

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
I wouldnt add Meds to your tank so soon you should know what it is before you start treating as long as your O is active eating and not excessively rubbing or darting I wouldnt worry about it.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
If he isn't doing it as often then I would observe a little longer. I assumed it was a regular habit. As for fluke treatment, if you treat him outside the tank, and re-introduce him the the infected tank, then I think there is a chance of re-infestation. You'd have to double check that with the manufacturers directions though. Hope he improves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store