Fish freaking out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
75 gal tank six fish in the tank. Two jd two catfish one Texas cichlid and one gorami. The tank peramiters are all in normal range, filtration is fine. Question is why do my fish freak out every time someone walks by..

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Does the tank rock or wobble when people pass? That's the first thing that comes to mind...

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
They could jsut be shy, mine swim away from the front of the tank into their hiding spots when someone they don't know walks by (aka anyone but me since I provide food, even then they sometimes swim away if I approach too fast)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd say they are scared of the 'big bad predator fish' walking past the tank. my bn pleco does that if she's near the front glass and i go up to the tank. if i want to get a good look at her i have to approach the tank really slowly.

my other fish would be the same when i first got them, getting scared and hiding when i was near/going past the tank. after a while they realized that i am the food source and could care less if i'm by the tanks.

i do want to mention though, your stock list for that tank needs some tweaking. that tank is much too small to house all those fish full grown, and the gourami (i am assuming it is a regular variety and not a giant gourami) will not fare well once the JD's and the Texas mature. as for the catfish, what species exactly?

i would suggest having just the two JD's in there long term, if they get along with each other (my research has so far said that there should be only one JD in a tank, due to possible aggression towards their own kind, but individual fish personality is a factor too). that's about all that will fit comfortably in a 75 gallon long term. or you could have just the Texas in there, as the Texas will mature at a larger size than the JD's.

what is your filtration, and what are your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)??

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
My filtration is a fluvel 405, water parameters are all in normal range except for my ph for which I am in the process of raising to 7.0. There is one spotted catfish and the other I am not sure, saved it from someone. The fish are not gasping for air or any breathing issues. Thanks everybody

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
'normal range' can mean a lot of things. what are the numbers for ppm on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
My fish do that until I walk by enough till they move a bit then kinda settle back in. They get over it after a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store