Can MTS snails carry ICK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..what the tittle says..

got some free MTS snails today and the fish in the tank had a really bad case of Ick.

They are currently in clean water..none of what they came in after acclimating them...waiting in a dish.

so just want to know if there is a rick of giving my tanks Ick if i put them in..i do have a QT tank..that i thinking ill just put them in for a while but i have a few small fish in it at the moment....feed back would be nice.

Thanks.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Snails & shrimp (inverts) don't get infected by Ich, that much I know. As for can they carry Ich (as in carry the cysts on their bodies) and transport it to other tanks, well I'm not entirely sure about that one (maybe, maybe not). Either way if the fish in the tank that you got the free MTS from were badly infected with Ich then that's a tell tale sign that their might be other issues with that tank. As such, being that I'm not entirely sure whether or not snails can carry Ich I wouldn't risk it, especially for some free MTS.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure someone else can give you are more definitive YES or NO answer.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Only for 24 hours. If the don't find another host (fish) they will die off. It is unlikely that they will carry it at any point.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
nice thank you both..ill just pop an air stone in there little cup for the night and give them 24 hours or more^_^ thank you!.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store