Makes me so MAD!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
So I'm reading on the WA based forum and I notice the same guy I bought shrimp from was trying to sell his two 2.5gal betta tanks to someone and he had said he wanted ten bucks for each one so I sent him an email saying I might be interested because I'm a hard core betta lover. I'll always make room for a betta in need. So we get to talking and he sends me some pictures. So the first thing I notice is that the tanks don't have hoods, the second thing I notice is that the tanks don't have heaters. Most people that are knowledgeable enough to know betta should not be in bowls are usually knowledgeable enough to know that bettas are a tropical fish and need heat. Now this guy is not a beginner fish keeper, he's got discus and an african cichlid tank. So I told him if I bought both tanks for $20 I would also have to buy heaters and lights and all in all for these two tiny setups it would cost me around $70 including tax to get the bettas setup the way they're supposed to be. I told him I'd buy the bettas but I refused to buy the tanks and he's like well I'd prefer to sell everything as a set and bettas do fine without heaters/lights. Nothing pisses me off more then people who under value a bettas(and this goes for goldfish too) worth and keeps them in less then ideal conditions. I told him if he changed his mind I'd be willing to buy the fish. So he messages me back and he's like well I guess I can sell you the fish. He's like one of the bettas doesn't look very good, it was a rescue six months ago and then he sent me a pic of his "prized" betta which was a very beautiful betta. Anyways I agreed to give him $10 bucks, which is way too much in my opinion despite his claims of spending $25 on his nice looking betta. I had my mom pick them up for me cause his house was on her way home from work and when she got home she was not happy. My mom got her first betta this year and treasures him so she's not to happy when she see's bettas kept improperly by their owners. She said the tanks were completely dark and caked in algae(left by a window), unlike the rest of his tanks that were heated, lighted, and very clean. The prized betta had a couple of real plants in his tank and the other one had one small plastic plant in his tank(no other decor). When I saw the "rescued" betta I was stunned for a lack of a better word. He was very listless and his fins were in appalling condition. So then the guy sent me a text and he's like "the rescue betta has just started to grow it's fins back". Seriously? After six months! Gee golly I wonder why?!?!?! NO HEAT! STRESS FROM LACK OF HIDING PLACES! And I betcha this poor betta did not have a very good diet either, I mean after all betta are disposable right? They're a dime a dozen so why waste money taking care of them the way they should be taken care of right? Any betta owner knows that bettas, if taken care of properly, are not listless fish as in the past it was so commonly believed. When they are adequately cared for they are very active fish, granted some more them others, but listless is not an appropriate character trait that can be applied to bettas. I'm glad I paid the money for these bettas because at least now I can give that one a shot at a healthy life. Their in a breeder box(separated) in one of the aquariums until I can move some fish around to accommodate them tomorrow. At least they'll be warm for the night and they got a dinner of frozen blood worms. Poor poor fish and angry angry me!

Proud and responsible betta owners chime in:thumbsup:

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I don't deny that he mistreated his fish, since by your description he probably did. However, a heater, hood, and light combo isn't always necessary given the right conditions. If his home is heated and the temp. stays stable, then a heater wouldn't have to be necessary. I have a bunch of tanks in my room and it gets pretty humid during the summer. I turn off all the heaters during the summer and I believe fish can withstand the slight temp. changes overnight like they naturally would in the wild. I've had bettas live in open containers with no top. I never fill to the brim, however, and always leave the water level at least 1" from the top to prevent jumping. Bettas don't need light fixtures, ambient light is fine. Some bettas need hiding spots, others don't. Some of the plakats I've kept didn't need them and totally ignored the clay pots I put in their tanks. In fact, they seemed kind of annoyed at the pots lol. Bettas can easily cost upwards of $25 if they're good quality. I've spent more than that for a single betta imported from Thailand.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I personally see no need for a heater if the house is never colder than 65-70. In the colder climates where ppl run their houses as cool as 55 at night I can see it. I don't run heaters in the summer months here as the house rarely gets below 70. I have a friend that keeps his house to around 80F year round. In that case, I would see no need for heaters. I doubt his issue is heat and probably more like complete failure to render basic care - for that, there is no excuse.

Remember that to the general public - fish are expendable. Not worth getting all worked up over as it isn't going to change overnight. I usually keep my mouth shut over issues like that and feel good that I got one more fish out of harms way. It's rewarding to see them improve and go from poor health to vibrant health! Be happy that you rescued 2 and not just 1.

Be happy even if it's just one at a time. . . . . . .

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I hear what your saying but the water was cold and there was no light to heat it. Being that bettas should be kept in temps around 75-80F degrees I feel that the conditions they were kept in, especially the mangled one was completely unsuitable environments for them. Being that he "rescued" the betta 6 months ago right after it had the snot kicked out of him and he still looks listless and horrible is proof to me he wasn't being cared for properly. After 24hrs. of being at a correct temp, despite him not having very much fins at at all he seems to be attempting to move around more and has perked up. I'm not trying to save every betta out there, I obviously can't and I accept that. But no matter what, when I see a very experienced and knowledgeable fish keeper with absolute beautiful tanks get a betta(s) and treat them with less then standard care it makes me angry. Agree with me or not, but it makes me angry.

And as far as spending $25 for a betta, heck yes I'd pay that much for a quality betta with quality genes but the fact of the matter is, is that he bought the nice looking one from petco...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store