stocking a 125 around an oreochromis tanginicae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
So just lost most of my fish in the freakish October snowstorm. Still don't have power. Anyway, one of the fish I was able to save (at least so far) is my oreochromis tanganicae named George. He is about 10 inches longish. I believe he is full grown. Have no idea how old he is...he was a rescue. I have had him a good 6 months...maybe longer and he has not grown noticeably just filled out a little once he stated getting the appropriate diet.

Anyway, since I also lost my discus, I am going to cut back a little. I was thinking to set up my 125 as a lake tang tank around george. He has been in a 150 with severums and odessa barbs and geos. He has never shown any aggression that I have seen.

So, tell me how you would stock this tank. I really want either calvus or comps. I would also like some shellies...but could do a seperate smaller tank.

Give me your thoughts please. I was thinking George, some tropheus, some comps or calvus and some shellies?

Thanks everyone!!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry for the loss and glad that you are thinking on going Tanganyika, as for me i have a couple of 120gal and 3 50gal + size Tang tanks well one of the 120gal is a Tang/Malawi setup more or less a predator tank, at any rate my 120gal Tang tank has a combo of Inkfin Calvus, Goldhead Comps, Julidochromis Transcriptus, Julidochromis Dickfieldi, N. Lelupi, N. Prochilus, N. Buescheri, T. Vittatus and Lepidio Hecqui - The Hecqui and the Vittatus are a more aggressive shellie so they can handle themselves in this setup with the more robust aggressive Tangs..

All works out fine for me and i do witness a little aggression from time to time but overall really a nice active setup.. Really i would not stock Tropheus in with regular Tangs the Trophs require a veggie diet and will bloat extremely fast and you will lose them, if you decide to do Troph's stick to them in a species or pick a couple more of the veggie Tangs like the Gobies.. If you decide to do some shellies i would recommend the Multi's for the smaller tank, I have a colony of Multi's in a 10gal right now and i already have 3 generations of fry..

Have fun and i hope you enjoy the Tangs i certainly do..

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
So, do you think if I settled in the trophs in the 125 with the oreochromis then slowly added the meat eaters with only supplemental meat feedings that I could maybe make it work? I have read some threads suggesting this. I would get the trophs well settled before adding the others. I would attempt to "spot" feed probably some frozen blackworms to the meat eaters a few times a week. The comps/calvus I had were non discriminatory when it came to eating.

Do you have any experience Pitt with the oreochromis?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Steph, the problem with the Tropheus is that they get bloat very easily if you give them meaty foods. You should give them only veggie foods.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree 100% with Efors, I have had Troph's a couple of times and only to lose the whole colony either to bloat or aggression. With Troph's a large tank with veggie feedings and at least a couple of days each week of fasting (no food at all) will be the order.. You can add other Herbivores from Tanganyika to the setup i believe there are some nice Petricola's that you could add as well in a 125gal..

Sorry no experience with the Oreo's

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Actually, some large mbuna would be better tankmates in the 125 with the Oreo than most Tanganykian species I can think of. You can do shellies and Calvus on a 29 or 30.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store