?? betta in a planted 10 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
Does a 10 gallon planted tank necessarily need a filter if it is planted in order to house a betta? How much of a bio load can one betta produce? I'm thinking just a power head with a sponge on the intake for water circulation. any thoughts?

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
or maybe a ugf with a power head, I know about plants and ugfs but I've done it before with my 55s

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
as long as your doing 50% weekly water changes, and its VERY heavily planted it should be fine. as long as he has a heater, but make sure the tank is cycled.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
A PH with sponge should be fine with proper maintenance and fast growing plants, pennywort and wisteria would be good choices.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
You don't need a filter at all in a 10 gallon with a single betta that's planted. In fact, I'd monitor the nitrates and see how often you need to do significant water changes (might be bi-weekly). The fish will help fertilized the plants, and one betta in a 10 gallon is a remarkably low bioload.

This is an ideal low tech set-up. If you want to be even lower tech, trade out the betta for a paradise fish and you won't need any heat even in winter.

Eric

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Paradise fish are quite nice too. If you go that route make sure you get cool water plants too.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
Paradise fish stats on liveaquaria say minimum 30 gal tank. so I thinlk I'll pass. I have a betta I need to rehome if I'm going the gourami route for my 75 g

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
well I put the tank on my coffee table that I moved into the bedroom, so I have room for my AC50 Moved some flourite, and some plants from the 29. Moved some cories and can't find my betta in the 29 gal tank. That is the tank that I'm replacing with the 75. I already emptied and got rid of the 29 on the bottom shelf. Have the fiter running, and need to let the water clear from disturbing the flourite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store