3 questions for the L. caudopunctatus fans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi, friends!
Recently, I read about this fish on an Ad Konings book, and there were 3 things that surprised me and I want to ask you about it:
1. They are described as cave brooders...aren't they shell dwellers?
2. It is written that sometimes breeding pairs form large breeding colonies...have any of you experienced this with them?
3. They are described as a peaceful species which can be kept in pairs or small groups... has this been the case according to your experiences?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have kept and raised and submitted Breeders award program fry with these fish, one of the issues with them i had that i didn't like is after a week of guarding the fry they would abandon them and they would be eaten, it took me at least a couple of years to be able to obtain 6 juvies to submit to BAP..

Every time they bred they would do so in a shell technically they are classified as a cave spawner but all of mine were shell dwellers and when breeding they didn't allow others of their kind near them and would chase them off. For the most part they were a calm species but i have seen them go after other fish..

I believe this is a species where you have to just get them and see what happens and most every hobbyist reports something different, Not sure if the wild caught species is like what they write in articles about these fish..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I had a pair a few years ago. They swam everywhere together, and found residence in shells most of the time. They never spawned for me, and after a few months the male got tired of that and started to bite her alot. mine werent calm (which goes against everything i had read) and when introduced into a tank with other fish the male like to attack other fish. theyre beautiful though and id like to try them again one day, id say go for it if you find some

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks for your answers my 2 friends Pitt and Austin! What can be expected if I put around half a dozen caudopunctatus juvies in a 3ft. long 38gal tank; the whole tank just for them and their future fry? Will they form really a large colony?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I think they will be fine Efors if they grow up together.. Wish you were closer i have a lone one i would give ya..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks for your offer, Pitt. I understand the distance problem...and your comments are always well appreciated; thanks, buddy!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem man i hope they work out for you if you get them..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
All i ever had was a pair, i bought them full grown so im not sure, im assuming they would pair off. good luck with them

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Well, I know a fish club member and friend, that is willing to trade with me a few caudopunctatus fry for some of my endlers fry. I will have to wait for the next batch of caudopuncs. I have turned myself into a crazy fish trader...who taught me to be like this?:uhoh:. I think I learned it from a Kentucky guy of this forum :grinyes:...with a dog name :evil_lol:.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have a 26g bow set up with these guys. Love them. I started with 5, lost one to my stupidness, and one was "evicted" from the tank, ended up dried on the carpet behind the tank :uhoh:. I have three left in the tank, a couple, the third one lives most times in his area, left third of the tank. I've tried to catch him several times, but they all dart into a shell, I'm afraid I'll take the wrong one out. I notice when the mated pair spend most of their time guarding a shell, he's evicted to the top of the tank. Once the fry are free swimming, he's allowed back in his shell. Yes, mine spawn in shells, when the fry are free swimming, they end up under a dug out rock in the middle of the tank. I've had 2 spawns, first spawn produced 30ish fry, -0- survived. Second spawn produced 30 more fry, it's been a little over a month since they went free swimming, last count I had 7 left. I'm not interested in raising any fry. Below is a pic of the tank, you can see one punk guarding his shell on the left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store