can fish die from damaged fins?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
my poor betta has been healing from multiple fin injuries for a couple of months, and just when i thought we were in the clear, this morning another injury. idk how this keeps happening! he's the unluckiest fish in the world. the first injury was a freak substrate accident where he tried to crawl under the small river stones and became wedged beneath them. he prolly would've been ok, but 5 days later the same thing happened again (my fault, shoulda changed the substrate the 1st time it happened). this time a whole 1/4 section of tail fin was torn off all the way down to the base where the fin attatches. as a result from stress coupled with trauma, he developed some mild tail rot
from the injuries. after a couple of weeks of adding salt and melafix, that section was finally growing back. then like 3 weeks after the first injury, the upper, undamaged part of his tail got torn somehow, and tail rot again, and more aggressive rotting this time. i had to treat 1 tsp per gal salt this time (instead of 1/2 tsp per gal.) with same dose melafix for over a week before i saw it stop receeding and some regrowth. so yesterday i seen his tail had quite a bit of regrowth on it and no more recession; but this morning, he has a whole chunk of tail fin gone! idk what he could even have gotten hurt on because he's all alone with 2 plants and a house cave. filter intake maybe, but even it has a sponge in the intake part. what do i do if he gets tail rot again? is it even safe to use salt/melafix this long? he dont have much tail left, can it lead to body rot? idk what to do. should i withdraw all meds at this point and
just nature run its course?

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Keep your water as clean as possible and then decide if you need to use meds.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
fin rot will kill the fish, but I have no idea why your betta is so clumsy. My betta is in a tank with really rough rocks on the bottom and has no problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store