Restocking a 29 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StripesAndFins

AC Members
Oct 11, 2009
Massachusetts
fictionlovers.org
Well, last weekend a huge snow storm knocked out my power, and within the three days it took to get it back, the water got too cold, killing my fish in my 29 gallon tank. So now, I am looking to restock my tank, but I'd like some advice as I don't want to overstock or anything. Currently, I have a TopFin 30 power filter, and I am planning on adding a TopFin 20. The tank is cycled, and the pH is 7.0

I'd like to get a community tank. My thoughts are 2 schooling fish, a center piece and maybe a bushynose pleco. My current thought is:

1 or 2 Rams
5-6 cories (not sure which)
A school of harlequin rasboras (not sure how many)
A Bushynose pleco

I'm not sure how these fish will get along, or if they will be too much for the 29 gallon, so that is why I am asking.

I'd like some suggestions. I'm not sure about plants, but I am open to suggestions (my light is low wattage though, so I know that limits me).

Thanks in advance :)

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I think you could be safe with
1 ram
5 cories (panda, julii, habrosus)
8 harlequin rasboras
1 bushy nose pleco.

Plant wise you could keep java moss, crypts, java fern. There are a few others, but the names aren't coming to me at the moment...

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
id say
1 ram
6-corys
8-harlequins
bristlenose pleco
thatll be a great stock
plants anachris, aponogeton, cabomba, jungle vals, anubius, guppy grass, and hornwort.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Also be aware that pleco can clean off a cichlid spawn in one night. While the parents are asleep, your brittlenose can easily snack on the eggs.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
As for bronze in a 29 gallon, I had a school of 6 bronze cories in my 29 gallon and they did fine! Very happy kids, yes they were active, but I say bronze or peppered in a 29 gallon is fine, I would say no emeralds, but those aren't really cories anyways. ;) But I've done it before, and would of kept them, except my male betta HATED the cories, fine with guppies, platies, everything but the cories. Lol.

I would say you could do
-1 ram
-1 BN pleco
-6 cories (bronze, peppered, juli, etc.)
-12 harlequin rasboras (they have a smaller bioload, like tetras :)

Using aqadvisor, you would be 94% stocked, just keep in mind rams like warmer water then most fish :)

As for plants, I would get some nice, dark malaysian driftwood (dr foster and smith is where I got mine) and some black cotton thread, and then a bunch of anubias nana plants and tie them to the wood. I have 7 anubias plants on driftwood in my 29 gallon, along with a couple of javas, and the javas aren't doing the best, but the nanas are bright green and healthy. And that was BEFORE I added fertilizers, and I only have the regular hood lighting that came with the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store