Odd film on new wood.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hey all so I recently ordered some drift wood http://www.petmountain.com/product/...3020/zoo-med-aquatic-natural-mopani-wood.html
and it came in quickly and looks great but being my first piece of driftwood I decided to "quarantine" it in my hospital tank... so it dyed the water brown, nbd im not currently running a filter on the tank, and it has this wierd transparent growth extending around all its surface??? Cant get a pic of it just doesnt show up but its very defined it is a see through/cloudy and kinda looks like a jellyfish except its all around the wood for an inch or so extending. What is this, how do I get rid of it, and is it safe for fish?

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
I have seen that on some of my wood when it was new. It didn't seem to effect my fish but if there was a thicker coating I removed the wood, scrubbed it, and tossed it back in the tank. After a while it will go away, some filtration/water movement may help.

XMX

AC Members
Oct 22, 2011
This film is not harmful. It is actually common when the drift wood is introduce to a tank for the first time. If you have a healthy tank and good filtration, then it should go away on its own. You can try to remove as much as you can during a water change. As for turning the water brown, this is also normal and harmless. Some drift woods contain tannin that turns the water to a brown "tea" color. It should become less noticeable after time with regular water changes.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
ah kk ill start running a filter on the tank thanks for telling me that I was kinda concerned lol what did you scrub it with?

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I had the same problem with my mopani wood. I just scrubbed some of it off and what was left dissappeared over a few weeks. It didn't effect my shrimp, so I am assuming it'll be fine with fish.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Totally normal...both things. When you do water changes just rub your hand over the wood...it comes right off then suck it up with your vac. It is totally harmless alot of fish/catfish and inverts will eat it. The tannins are also normal and will vary in amount of time it takes for them clear.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Cool thank you everyone! Now I just have to worry about my mystery disease affecting my cory and probably will get other fish as well if I dont act... can anyone tell me what causes this to happen to my corys mouth? (and a similar looking thing happened to a emporer tetra about a week ago that died but it was on his back half and I think w/e it was has infected the cory and is in my tank)
2011-11-06_170922.jpg
(talking about the emerald cory on the right)

I have fungus, parasite, and ich guard on hand and I want to begin one tonight to try and save him/prevent other infection. I dont want to move him to do it because I am positive that w/e it is is in my whole tank and I need to kill it off. Going to test my levels, do a 25-30% wc, and then hopefully begin treatment.

2011-11-06_170922.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store