Lost 3 fish in 2 weeks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
About 2 weeks ago I lost my male dwarf gourami. The night before he seemed fine, he wasn't sick, was eating and swimming around like normal. When I found him in the morning he was just laying at the bottom of the tank. I didn't see any signs of illness, no wounds or anything. I had him for not quite a year. So I thought well I'll do a water change and get another fish for the tank. So I performed about a 25% water change and waited for a few days and got one platy and 2 female guppys (I decided to get my male guppy a pair of females). They all seemed to get along. Of course the male was happy and was following them around at first. I had them together for almost a week and then my female dwarf gourami died. There was nothing wrong with her that I could see. She was acting like she normally did, she ate that morning and then when I came home from work later that afternoon I found her at the bottom of the tank. Then this morning I fed the fish and I couldn't find my male guppy, I looked around the tank to find that my one amano algae shrimp was eathing his dead body. I did another 25% water change this afternoon. I did test the water when the male dwarf gourami died and the water looked ok. The ammonia was at 0, the nitrites was at 0 and the nitrates were around 25 to 30. So the water looked to be normal. what would cause 3 fish to die in about a two week span? I've never had problems with this tank before. This is my 20 gallon tank. Right now I have 2 amano shrimp, 2 female guppy, 1 female platy and 2 snails.

Danny-O

How do I change my user title?
Mar 4, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.howmanyfish.com
Have you checked all the systems of the tank? Is the heater operating normally? Used any cleaners or chemicals near the tank recently? What kind of substrate--any chance of a "burp" of hydrogen sulfide from a spot where waste has collected undisturbed? Just trying to give some ideas here.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
All the systems are working fine. The heater is working good ( the temp is around 78 to 80 degrees), and the filter is working fine. The only thing about the filter is that I'm currently not using any carbon. the carbon I had in there was pretty old and I just haven't gotten around to get new carbon yet. i usually forget to pick some up. But I don't think that would do any harm. All my tanks are currently running without carbon and this tank is the only one i'm having problems with. I haven't used any cleaners or chemicals around the tank that I can think of. I have my 10 gallon right next to the 20 gallon and am having no problems with it. The substrate is medium sized gravel. When I gravel vac I make sure to gravel vac the enite tank. I take all the the plants and decorations out when I gravel vac so I'm pretty sure all the subtrate is stirred up when I clean. Thanks for the suggestions Danny-O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store