Using Levamisole HCl for internal parasites

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Edj05

The Kraken
Nov 29, 2008
New Jersey
I recently purchase Levamisole HCl for the purpose of treating internal parasites in a group of angelfish. I can't say for sure what they have, but for some time they have pooped mostly white/sometimes clear poop, not especially long as far as I can remember. Some of the angels became lethargic and disinterested in food, so I started treating the tank with something from the pet store - I think it was Tetra Parasite Guard. It seemed to help, as they did perk up a little and eventually begin eating again. I treated more than one round of the meds. However, a couple weeks later (now), some of them still produce feces symptomatic of internal parasites, although not consistently. I suppose they could still be stocking up on nutrients after hosting parasites & not eating much, but I'm not sure. To be safe, and for future cases, I bought the Levamisole which I have read is quite effective.

Actual question - the seller provided these instructions: " If you want to treat smaller volumes use at the rate of 2 mls. per 10 gallons or 4 drops per gallon. Keep the lights off and 36-48 hours later do a water change. "

Does the dosage sound alright to you? I have never used this before, so I figured I would double check. Also, are there any fish for which the use of Levamisole is not acceptable?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It is hard to know without knowing the dosage per ml. Keeping the lights off and retreating in 48 hours is correct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store