Tank too large?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
This is kind of a dumb question but I've read on several betta tanks about some tanks being too large for a betta. I've seen no reasons why though. Last week I bought a dragonscale halfmoon and put him in my basically empty 40 breeder planted tank. The tanks mates he has right now are some shrimp, snails, 3 killis, and some L201. He's really slow to eat so I'm scared to add many more tankmates. I just want to make sure the tank is suitable.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've kept Betta's in 29 and 40b just fine, probably just his personality that makes him more skittish. When I moved one from a 10 to a 40 he seemed quite happy swimming all over the place exploring it and ate fine.

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
I was told to keep them in small tanks because it's not as far for them to travel for air. Apparently it isn't true because I've had one living in my 65 for months. Now watch my betta drown for saying this...:naughty:

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
I have a Halfmoon DS in a 75 with Mixed Tetra's, guppies and invert, he eats slow but he doesn't seem underfed then again if he get's hungry he just seems to eat the guppy fry that fit in his mouth.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
IMO no tank is too big for a betta, I've had one in a 55gal for a couple years and I had one chilling in a 30gal by himself for a while also. If there's a lot of fish in the tank I usually drop a little food in the tank and then once he realizes there's food he'll come to the top and I drop more food above his head. The betta I had in my 55gal just sat it the tall sprite plants and just waited for the food to float above his head. Another thing I've done is sprinkled food in multiple places. I've never had a betta starve nor has one drowned.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, if a betta can live in slow moving streams a few feet deep with thousands of gallons, then a 40B will definitely be fine. Like stated before, no tank is too large for pretty much any fish.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I put a new female betta in my 29 several days ago, and she's been shy at first but becoming more and more curious about her surrounding. This morning I've seen her swimming out in the open a lot so far, it sometimes takes them a while to acclimate to such a large space after those tiny little cups. It must be heaven for them to suddenly have so much room and space to explore!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store