Is any one type of driftwood better then others for BN Plec's?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Just got my first Pleco in 10 years yesterday spur of the moment purchase, he's a BN. I have no driftwood at the moment so I was going to order some today. I like the look of Mopani but I know its not natural to them does it really matter?

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
I don't think it does, I am not sure though. I have malaysian and manzanita with mine. She seems fond of the malaysian and imo it looks SO much better then my mopani I had. A lot darker, easy to aquascape with :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Mopani I probably wouldn't do much with just maybe stick a java fern or something on it... I can see how some of the Malaysian stuff would make for a good aquascape project, the branch like pieces and some moss could make a nice looking underwater tree. But I thought something bigger, blockier with crevices would be more to the plecs preference.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Mopani I probably wouldn't do much with just maybe stick a java fern or something on it... I can see how some of the Malaysian stuff would make for a good aquascape project, the branch like pieces and some moss could make a nice looking underwater tree. But I thought something bigger, blockier with crevices would be more to the plecs preference.
My malaysian stuff is what I got off off dr foster and smiths, chunky, fat, pieces, some longer, but wide and stuff. I didn't mean *actual* aquascaping with the branch and underwater tree stuff. Oh gosh, that's far too complicated for me! Lol. Mine is bigger and blockier then the mopani I had, it probabl just depends on the type of wood :)

I'm just against the mopani cause the piece I had looked like crap, it just didn't look good, no matter what. I'm sure he stuff you are looking at actually is good :)

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I have to disagree with Mapani. It's too hard. Smack a chunk with a hammer some time.
Since its colored all the way through I use a table saw to cut big pieces into smaller ones for anubis to grow on.

Manzanita or any of the freshwater drift woods are far softer and more like what plecos would encounter in nature. Mopani is more like a rock they'd encounter.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Ah well I picked up a piece of Mopani earlier today at a local store and ordered some malaysian online. Hopfully I'll have the malaysian before the weekend, was already in a tank so a quick soaking to kill anything that may of came with it and it'll go in the tank, the Mopani I guess even though I have it now is going to take a week or two to be ready to go in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store