Readying saltwater driftwood for FW tank use with inverts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I just picked up a lot of driftwood at the local beach. It has aged nicely. Thinking about the best way to cleanse it of whatever impurities it has after sitting in the ocean. Or is my idea of using this driftwood even feasible? I'd hate to kill off a tank of prawn.

I have a brook in my backyard that I was thinking about putting the driftwood in and weighing it down under some cinder blocks. Thinking that after two weeks it should be good for the tank?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rick

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Well, if it is of a size to do it, I would do a good fresh water boil. Probably a couple.

Not sure of your prawn sensitivity to salt, but after a good boil, and then a couple week soak, test the water it has been soaking in. If the density is the same, you should be fine, as far as salt content. If you have a copper test kit, test the water that has been soaking in that as well.

Honestly can't think of too much that you would run into with beach aged wood that wouldn't be handled by a good boil. But then, I'm no prawn expert other than they are delicious! :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
^^ what he said. I wouldn't put it in a brook never know what type of bacteria or parasites might decide to take up residence. If you can't boil it soak it in a bucket for a couple weeks changing out the water a every couple days and dose it with prime for the last few days soaking.

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies. :)

These pieces are a little too large for boiling so I will try to set up a vat or bucket outside and change out the FW they are in every couple of days.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Thanks for the replies. :)

These pieces are a little too large for boiling so I will try to set up a vat or bucket outside and change out the FW they are in every couple of days.
When I had a piece too big for boiling I set 4 large pots to boil and when they were boiling filled the tub up with water as hot as it would go and kept adding boiling pots of water to the tub for a few hours. Be warned that it makes your tub super dirty

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store