If I'm not breeding ... Do apistos / SA Cichlids NEED caves?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
I don't intend to breed my fish intentionally.

Will apistos and other SA Cichlids (Flag fish curviceps, rams, Kribs etc) be unhappy in a heavily planted tank without caves?

Here is the tank as it is now, it's not scaped yet just growing a lot of stems to get it started, but to give an idea of the amount of plants i intend on having:

I don't really have good spots to hide caves... and not sure i want to sacrifice the floor space either.

But gouramis need floating plants (which i don't enjoy or want), rainbowfish need a covered tank, and angelfish would eat my smaller tetras and amano shrimp which are too big for the mouths of SA cichlids. I really don't see another centerpiece fish to get instead...

6y2umh.jpg

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
They don't need caves but I find that my apistos and my bolivian rams use them when they feel threatened. I have Terra cotta (clay) pots in all of my tanks and most of my dwarf cichlids use them. They are inexpensive and look kinda cool with plants around them.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
Could I have 2 each of 2 species of these types cichlids (dwarf, apisto, ram, krib, etc) in this tank? (1m 1f of each)

How about 3-4 GBRs (1 or 2 males) ?

I've never kept cichlids of any type... It's a 36x18 , 40 gallon breeder (w/ massive overfiltration)

Thank you!

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
Kribs and apistos don't mix. German blue rams prefer high temperatures. Apistos do well with bolivian rams and angels, well depending on what type of apisto. I would stick to cacatoides and agasizzis, they have a more docile temperment compared to other species I've seen. Two male apistos usually don't mix so one male and one or two females would be a better option. If its a breeder tank I'm assuming its more wide than tall so I wouldn't do angels.

I would try 1 m 2 f apistos and 3-4 bolivian rams.
Maybe some hatchet fish for a top dweller.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
:iagree: with apistos and bolivians

or just the GBRs......maybe electric blues.......they would look stunning against that greenery?

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
apistos dont do well in trios. the odd female usually ends up being killed off.

Depends on what kind of apisto but you could start off with 2 females and let the male choose which one he wants and rehome the other....if you only have 1 female the male might not take to her so starting with more than one and watching them closely is a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store