Danios Exploded...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
I have 6 zebra danios and a couple had huge bellies... i look in the tank and now see that one had like exploded from the inside out. and now another is starting to do the same. but they are alive and eating and everything... I need to know what to do incase it is an illness or just a danio intestinal thing. 2 of my BN pleco look like they have large bellies, i just thought this was from eating alot of the cucumber i fed them though. They are eating ALOT of this cucumber. between 6 of them they ate 2 slices in one night. What is going on though. should i be worrying about the BN's exploding as well like the danios did?

pls help as i am getting a new tank friday and selling the one they are in saturday. but i wanted to get my tetras and angels next week sometime.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
You said they exploded but are still alive... Did the poop, what did it look like? If it is all clear and stringy then it's probably parasites in the stomach. If they just pooped a lot then it's constipation. Try feeding peas or more veggie matter. As for the pleco's it probably has to do with whatever the danios have, if it's parasites they probably have it too if it's poop, well it's a pleco they get fat then they poop like crazy but that's normal.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Exploded!? Are their intestines actually hanging out? Did their stomachs just split open? That can't be normal, I am wondering if it could be parasites.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Well, my bn plecos eat tons of zucchini and they have never exploded. As for the danios, maybe you are overfeeding them? I just haven't seen that issue with my danios. What are you feeding the danios, how much, and how often?

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
It is impossible to take a pic of them. it always turns out to be a blurr. but their stomach litterally like popped. they are still alive... i have been reading similar stories and they die several days after. a couple also have like broke spines down towards the tail...

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Sounds like an internal parasite to me. I am no pro on this stuff but maybe treat the water with a anti-parasite medication? It probably wont be too rough on the fish and if it helps you know what was happening! And its relatively inexpensive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store