Reccomend me a good fry culler thats community safe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I will soon be overrun with live bearer fry, this tanks previous fry hunter was a Plakat Betta who's passed on, after he died I bought 2 dwarf Gourami's since they looked nice I thought they would do that job, they've failed me, they show no interest in pursuing the fry into the dense plants. So what will hunt down fry until they're all gone yet not bother my neons or shrimps? Preferably something that will be happy as the only one of his species in the tank.

I've considered adding a nice black or blue angel but I had horrible luck with them in the past and when they get bigger I have doubts about them getting at the fry hiding out in the plants.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I would have said Golden wonder killies, but they can probably down your shrimp and neons. Swordtails would happily eat up your other fry.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
My German Blue Ram had cleaned out 50+ guppy fry in a few days... though he had unfortunately an internal parasite from the distributor... so a month later, he passed. :(

Though a thing to mention.... GBRs are super sensitive!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I would have said Golden wonder killies, but they can probably down your shrimp and neons. Swordtails would happily eat up your other fry.
I don't mind loosing a shrimp here and there I have a breeding colony of cherries just don't want anything that will hunt them all down. Swordtails do a good job with fry? Will probably mean a few more fry, I have all female platties dont want a male swordtail knocking them all up. Think just 1 would be able to do the job? Platies will both probably drop a couple more batches until they run out, but guppies will continue as I have pairs.

As far as GBR's I love how they look but have read how sensitive they are, pretty sure my ph is to high for them at around 7.3ish IIRC they like it in the mid 6's?

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Honestly, if you know for sure yours is NOT wild, they can or are already in a 7.0+ water tank.

Mine was full of color and fun to watch, but he had that **** parasite.

You MAY see how Bolivian Rams do.. mine have a 30-40 gang of fry ATM, great parents... but I wonder if they like "others" fry as their meal??

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
My golden wonder killis never come below the top 1/3 of the tank so idk about that... However I have no doubt that if they saw one close enough they would get it.. I have 2 approx 1 inch BN plecos and one time one ventured up to the top area and one of those darted over and attacked it but once it went to the bottom it didnt look at it again. Needless to say they stay at the bottom now. Also with killis you have to worry about them jumping out, as one of mine did. And if there is a hole the size of their body or bigger they can jump out mine was a small hole between the glass and filter and I lost one to the floor lol Angels are supposed to be good fry eaters.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
maybe try gold rams. theyre more forgiving. i hve 2 in 7.6 ph and theyre great. also cherry barbs love fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store