Transporting (not shipping) red cherry shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
I am in a college dorm and have a month long winter break and I cant leave it in my dorm. What would be a good way to transport the rcs on a 6-7 hour drive back home? I would be willing to buy breather bags but there must be an easier way. I also have a bundle of wisteria in the tank with 2 marimo balls and those can just go in a Tupperware container im guessing.

Any suggestions?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
You can put them all in a big tupperware w/ all your plants. They are hardy and wont mind much just try to keep the temp relatively stable! (also maybe open the container every now and again)

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I would just get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up with tank water and go. i dont think there would be any issue there.

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
You can put them all in a big tupperware w/ all your plants. They are hardy and wont mind much just try to keep the temp relatively stable! (also maybe open the container every now and again)
I will probably insulate the container with a towel or something just to keep the temperature steady and not get to cold. I just needed to make sure that a tupperware container would be fine for the rcs and wouldnt harm them. Thanks

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Bucket 1/2 full with a lid should be fine. You want lots of airspace, a 1/2 full bucket is better than a full one. They will slosh around enough during the trip to aerate the water. I've shipped (mailed) RCS in plain plastic bags with plants and they have been fine.
I'd put the shrimp and plants all together in the same container...gives the shrimp some cushion and something to hold onto.

Or buy one of those big mondo jars of pretzels, have a few friends over...viola! instant mini shrimp tank/transport container.

Ditto insulating the container if it's very cold, but in the back seat of a heated car they should be fine. RCS tolerate cooler temps well.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I will probably insulate the container with a towel or something just to keep the temperature steady and not get to cold. I just needed to make sure that a tupperware container would be fine for the rcs and wouldnt harm them. Thanks
Big thing to remember is to give them something to grab on to, like the marimo balls or something.

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Bucket 1/2 full with a lid should be fine. They will slosh around enough during the trip to aerate the water. I've shipped (mailed) RCS in plain plastic bags with plants and they have been fine.
I'd put the shrimp and plants all together in the same container...gives the shrimp some cushion and something to hold onto.

Or buy one of those big mondo jars of pretzels, have a few frienbds over...viola! instant mini shrimp tank/transport container.
One of the pretzel jars would actually be larger than the current tank I have right now haha. Its like 1.75 gallon hexagon

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I ship my shrimp for days in regular old plastic fish bags with just a little bit of moss...you could do the same. just bag them and take them with you in a box or whatever strikes your fancy. You can insulate them if you want, but if you have the heat on in your car they should be fine with or without. You can also do the bucket method that people have mentioned, but to me that is more trouble when you can just bag them and go. RCS are tougher than people think. They can survive for quite some time in a little bit of water in a bag. =) Like someone else said, the sloshing of the water will aerate it enough even though they won't need it in that short of a journey. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store