aqueon 300w submersible heater - knocking noise - slight condensation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
time to toss it?

i have an aqueon submersible heater in a 55gal tank (tank is only filled halfway at the moment)
-heater is rated for 75-90gal... should it not be in here?
-also im in northern california where winter temp is usually 40-70F

theres also slight condensation inside the glass tube
tube is laying sideways with the top elevated slightly higher than the bottom.
most the condensation is near the top but theres also a bit near the rubber stopper at the bottom

temperature is holding steady at 78F

*just wondering, do these have potential for failure like the stealth-pro's? as seen in this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103155-beware-marineland-stealth-pro-heater-12.html

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Between the noise and condensation I'd toss it. As for watts per gallon I don't think its a problem to be a little overrated a couple of my setups are running heaters meant for slightly larger tanks.

I have the same heater but in 50w, its like 6 months old and the light already died on it, don't think I'll be buying anymore Aqueon heaters.

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008

I have 3 of this same heater
and it is heater #2 that i made this thread about....

a few months ago i retired heater #1 becuase it was making the knocking noise (although I never checked for condensation)
I replaced it with heater #2 in and was still having the knocking problem... but the knocking stopped when I redid my electrical stuff. I previously had both heater #1 and then heater #2 plugged into a surge protector which was plugged into another surge protector which was plugged into the wall. I redid my wiring so it was only plugged into a single surge protector, and the knocking stopped. I ran it like that for a while

well i moved the tank to my parents house where I had it running half full for about a week. today I unplugged everything (from a single surge protector plugged into the wall) and drained most the water so I could shim/level out my tank. when i started refilling the tank (heater below water line) heater #2 started making a knocking noise and slight condensation was present. so I made this thread.

so there was knocking and condensation so I unplugged #2 and replaced it with heater #1. once again the knocking continued and condensation was quickly visible

so right now I just removed heater #1 and installed heater #3 and while I have yet to spot any condensation, the knocking is once again present...

this is also my first time using heater #3, it is brand new

WTF????

*edit*
theres now a slight spot of condensation around the top of the coil and a lot of bubbling occuring by 1 of the suction cup holder things but not the other one

*also, could lack of ciruclation also be a problem?? I currently have my filter off, due to a problem with the impeller
*repositioning (shifting side to side along the suction cup holders) also temporarily stops the knocking

Last edited:

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
the knocking stopped

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Condensation above the heating coil is normal for most glass tube heaters. This is because of the sudden drop in temperature located just above the heating coil causes humidity to condense on the glass. However if it gets to the point where you are seeing water collecting on the bottom of the heater (below the heating coil) then I would replace it.

I have no idea about the knocking but it may be the sound of the contact points tapping together.

There is no chance of failure like the Stealth's. This was caused by epoxy vaporizing inside the plastic tube and building up pressure. There is no epoxy in a glass tube heater.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store