Angel sick? Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Woke up to feed my babies today and when I went to my angel tank he didn't eagerly come to the front of the tank when I came with food like he usually does. Upon further inspection I saw him in the back right corner of the tank hanging at an angle with his mouth near the top of the tank. he looks kind of black-ish on top and his fins are clenched shut. I have cories and tetras in there with him and they are doing fine. Params are right on (Nitrite/ammonia=0 nitrate is normal for me). It is hard to get a good look at him because 3/4 walls on the tank a have layer of algae on it (on purpose) so I just can't see him well. I have had him and the other guys in the tank for prolly about 6 months, if not more. Any ideas what may be wrong? I'm really concerned. He isn't eating and just sitting in the corner near the top.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Yea, I know it's vague, sorry. But yea, did a water change and no improvement. As I said all the other fishies in the tank are fine. But yea, black/darker color, clenched fins, still no appetite. Any ideas on what I can do until I figure out what this is, which I feel won't happen until symptoms get worse, which of course I don't want to happen.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Honestly I would put him in a hosp tank and treat w/ one of those tetra fizz tabs... I forget which one treats for clenched fins, I think its the parasitic one. But Any of the 3 treat a wide range of ailments and there may even be a "all in one" cure but its more expensive and idk how effective it is. All I know is every time Iv treated w/ one of those products I have had great results. But they seem to be relatively light on the fish (no seen stress for me) and may be the least expensive, safest way to do. That way if he gets better you know you got it but if he doesnt you can eliminate what your treating for.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Now I just need a hospital tank... thanks for the advice, I just would like one other person's opinion before I treat for stuff, I tend to shy away from chemicals and such. In fact i usually refuse to add anything to the tank but Prime and water. But you're most likely right. I'm told to use maracyn 1 and 2 by my LFS owner. Opinions on both the treatment with the Tetra tabs that aqaustin recommended or the maracyn. Also, no hospital tank and no money to go get a brand new tank just for this (unfortunately) or room in my room for more tanks (I rent a room, can't put tank elsewhere), so ideas on what to do about that?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well potentially you could use a 5 gallon bucket but that would lead to other problems like no filtration, aeration, and you cant see the fish etc. The only other option you have is to treat the entire tank (what size). I am using maracyn 2 right now for columnaris and it does work seeminly but it is much more harsh than the other treatment and it is expensive. To fully treat my 75 gallon tank with JUST maracyn 2 would cost $42 and maracyn 1 is actually like a dollar more expensive... so if your tight on cash thats probably not the way to go. Its a tough decision to make to treat the tank and with what... but likely w/o intervention the angel will die. The first sign of onset in my tank was a Madagascar rainbowfish started to just hover for hours at a time in a mid-level location towards the back. If you can look at your fish when he poops, is it stringy and transparent ( mucus) or is it normal? If it is mucus than there is no doubt that you have an internal parasite and the clock is ticking. From my experience its about a 3-4 day time frame from onset in a fish to its death

and im all for additional opinions I try to get the most before I do anything as well unfortunately for w/e reason people dont respond to the sickness section a whole lot I have found... either because they dont know and dont want to be wrong or because they dont have sick fish and dont really care? But I feel ya

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
He is in a 15g (I know it's small for an angel, that's a whole other thing that I don't feel like explaining, but yes I know it's a small tank for him). I was thinking treating the whole tank would be a good idea anyway since if he is sick, then it might be in the tank and spread. I didn't know it was SO expensive! OMG... I haven't seen him poop in a long time.. but I don't look for that. I will try to.
Could I treat the whole tank with the tetra fizz tabs you were talking about? Are those cheaper? (not that money would stop me from helping my fish at any cost, but $45 is almost an entire week's groceries at the moment, ya know? Gotta draw the line somewhere.)
I was about to say, thank you so much for actually responding and being on top of it, much appreciated. I noticed that too, I remember I had a problem once and no one responded until after my fish had died. Quite sad. But I'll be on poop look-out on my angel.
I have a 5g bucket and a spare filter that *hopefully* still works. But no heater to keep it warm...

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The tetra packs do 80 gals worth of treatment so you would be totally fine there, in such a small tank the other medication would me cheaper than for me, but it will still run you a pretty bill of about $20 or so (possibly more) tetra tabs are about $4 bucks for a packet of 8 tabs with 1 tab doing 10 gallons and normally they are a 1 treatment deal. Meaning you drop it in, let it dissolve (remove carbon) and you dont have to do anything else. This maracyn-2 (and 1 for that matter) you have to keep adding daily. 2 packets per gallon the 1st day and 1 packet a gallon for each day after that for a total of 5 days. Your better off treating the tank trust me, if he has it its in your water and possible someone else got it but reguardless the additional stress of moving on a fragile fish who is sick wont help him at all.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I have class until 5 but will run to the LFS to pick up some of those tabs, $20 is better than $80+!
Yup, we wanna keep that stress level down for him! Poor guy, he's been through a lot in the last year with me. Moved twice, had a couple cases of ich in the first half of the year. I will treat the whole tank with the Tetra tabs (given my LFS has it, it's a common item, right?) when class is over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store