My plan for a new FW planted aquarium, please critique

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Hello!
This is my first post on AC but I’ve been lurking for some time. I am not new to aquariums in general (I currently have two marine aquariums and frequent Reef Central and Nano-Reef.com frequently) but have never really tried a beautiful planted aquarium before.
I am planning a 46 bow-front build and would like the experts here on AC’s thoughts and opinions.
Hardware:
*Marineland 46 Bow-front with glass top
*6 x 39w T5 Tek Light Fixture (I only plan on using the center 4 bulbs though unless recommended otherwise – what are the preferred type (k-rating) of bulb(s)?)
*Eheim 2213 or Marineland C220 canister filter (would one of these be enough or do I need supplemental filtration as well, perhaps a bio-wheel type power filter?)
*150w submersible heater, thermometer, background, etc.

Décor:

*Mopani driftwood centerpiece and assorted rocks
*Eco-complete substrate for planted areas, perhaps a lighter sand or gravel substrate for non-planted areas

Fish:

*Pair of Keyhole Cichlids
*One or two schools (at least 6 fish each) of Tetras: Serpae, Black Skirt, Red-Eye
*One or two Dojo or Kuhli Loaches – for my son
*One BN Pleco – orange or albino variety
*Two or Three Oto Algae eaters if the BN doesn’t work out
*Two or Three Cory Cats

Plants:

*Definitely want a sword of some type
*I’ve always loved banana plants
*I love the pictures of the apparently ground covering foreground plants – not sure what this is
*Suggestions?

So, this is where I am right now in my preliminary planning stages. I’d love advice on necessary supplements, CO2 options, etc. Thanks for your time and any comments!

Chuck H.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sounds pretty good. 6500k-10000k is what you want for plant growth. For fish stocking not sure about dojo's but kuhli's you want to have a few of them or you'll never see them much, 5-6 would be a good number. Same with the oto's and cories wouldn't go with any less then 4. Would need to see pic's of the type of foreground your talking about but sounds like a moss or maybe dwarf baby tears.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
For a planted aquarium the bulbs you would need are the 6500K. (10,000k is for saltwater) and it is said that you need 2.5-3 watts per gallon. so a 46gal tank needs 115-135 watts total. running just 3/6 of the bulbs will definitely be sufficient enough. since only 3 out of the 6 sockets are being used the 3 lights you are using will also be brighter (more intense). I'd say run 3 of the 6500k bulbs and it will allow you to keep all the plants you want.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
If you do pressurized CO2 then you could use the most out of the fixture and not have algae issues, you would also have great growth. Foreground carpet forming type plants usually require good CO2 and high light to fill in thick.
If you want to avoid CO2 then you probably can get away with that fixture using not very many bulbs. if you get algae issues then you know to much light without CO2 and to take a bulb out.

It all matters what you want to do and what you want to spend. Swords don't need a lot to grow but carpet plants do.

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Thanks for all of the replies!

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Okay! Mrs. Claus has provided me with an early Christmas - an Aqueon 36 gallon bowfront w/ hood and stand! So, I just left the Doctors (Foster and Smith) and have the following on the way: an Ehiem 2213 and Emperor 250 for filtration (overkill?), API Freshwater Master Test Kit, 1 Lrg. Mopani Driftwood, 3 pack Cichlid Stones (ceramic ones with the holes in them - like their looks), some Prime, the Seachem 3 basic supplement plant pack, 150w heater, thermometer, and Seachem Neutral Regulator (since I'm going to fill this bad boy with gallon jugs of distilled water).

I picked up a 50lb bag of Home Depot play sand this evening for substrate. I plan on sticking with the stock 20w Flo light for now and think I'm going to try either the "Hard to Kill" or "Low Light" plant packs from AquariumPlants. com once I'm ready to go. I need to get a background from a LFS (Foster's had nothing to choose from) and then I'm all set.

I'll post some pics once I start to set this baby up (and it ain't going to wait until Christmas either!)

Chuck

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I disagree that 10,000K is only for SW. Grown plants on just that alone.

Your current thoughts are far more within the realm of possibility. A 6 bulb T5 is overkill IMHO...more overkill than any filtration you just added.

Just lose the Neutral Regulator though. You do not need a pH of 7.0 now or ever...waste of money. Use straight up tap water (add the Prime though) so long as it is safe to drink.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Good Luck, Chuck!

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I disagree that 10,000K is only for SW. Grown plants on just that alone.

Your current thoughts are far more within the realm of possibility. A 6 bulb T5 is overkill IMHO...more overkill than any filtration you just added.

Just lose the Neutral Regulator though. You do not need a pH of 7.0 now or ever...waste of money. Use straight up tap water (add the Prime though) so long as it is safe to drink.
Thanks for the reply! Since the 36 is only 30" long I won't be using the Tek and plan on trying my luck with the stock 20w Flo. hood but with perhaps a bulb change - going for a "low light" tank for now. As for tap water, in my area it is very bad - over 300 TDS and I'd expect nothing but algae problems if I used it.

Speaking of a low light planted aquarium, I'm thinking of this:

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/PROD/PAP/LPPG

Does anyone have any experience with this company and their service?
What else do I need, besides the sand and aforementioned basic supplements from Seachem, to get started? Any thoughts are again appreciated. Thanks,

Chuck

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I can't say anything about freshwateraquariumplants.com, but I have not had a good experience with aquariumplants.com. I received my plants and the first thing I noticed when I opened the box was the horrible rotting smell. Of the dozen or so plants that I ordered, only 3 survived. Perhaps I was just unlucky, so other members may want to comment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store