Hybrid Peacock Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
A while back, I bought a pregnant OB peacock from an "assorted" peacock tank. I know that probably wasn't the wise thing to do, but I wanted to see what I could do with the fry. Right now, the fry have grown to anywhere from an inch to 1 1/4", and I can definitely see that there's a lot of variation in body style and patterns, so I know they're hybrids. But anyway, to my question: can these turn out to look any good? I know that OBs are hybrids, and they look nice, but is it unusual to have decent hybrids? This is probably a silly question, but I've just started wondering about it. It doesn't really matter to me if they're beautiful like the parents, I just like the fish. Thanks.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
All peacocks (and mbunas) are hybrids, or at least have to be assumed to be, unless you know for an absolute fact that they are wild caught or offspring from known wild caughts.

Depending on how you define a species, they are not different species in the first place. If they can make fertile offspring, they are actually the same species.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Well most Peacocks today are Hybrids and there are very few true Forms of Peacocks that you would see from the Great Rift Lakes, some are beautiful and some are down right ugly as for a batch of Hybrid offspring you will get most of them as just ok fish and a few that will be awesome so it will be a wait and see issue to see what you will get.. Good luck on the fish and i hope you get some nice looking fish..

One of my all time favorite fish was a Tanganyika Hybrid he was an awesome fish with a great personality and i will miss him gracing my tank..

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I actually saw that hybrid in one of your posts. He was quite beautiful.

Well, I guess it's just a gamble then. Kinda makes it more exciting.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
All peacocks (and mbunas) are hybrids, or at least have to be assumed to be, unless you know for an absolute fact that they are wild caught or offspring from known wild caughts.

Depending on how you define a species, they are not different species in the first place. If they can make fertile offspring, they are actually the same species.

Wow that is totally not true. Any respectable breeder will not sell hybrids. I have several F1 mbuna. Now I can understand the statement when it comes to pet store mbuna and peacocks. But not when it comes to get fish from hobbyists and well known dealers. I wouldn't call any fish from Dave's rare fish hybrids.

Plus just because a species can breed and create fertile offspring does not mean it's the same species. Rift lake cichlids all have similar ancestors and are very closely related because evolution happened so quickly. A species is a species, especially if it is scientifically described like many rift lake species.

Now to the OP. There are many hybrids that are very nice looking. I have a saulosi/msobo cross that is quite nice looking. Nothing wrong with keeping a nice looking hybrid. The problem starts when they are passed off as pure species or distributed at all.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If you read the second half of that sentence you would see I covered that. Either way, most people don't go through breeders, they go through shops. And most shops sell 'assorted cichlids' that need to be assumed to be hybrids.

That is assuming they are accurate descriptions of species. There is not one accepted definition of a species. Depending on which definition is used, it is in fact one species of the offspring are fertile. These 'species' are so closely related that it is more likely that scientists jumped the gun in declaring every color variation and minor geographic separation as a different species. Speciation is a long process that requires many steps, all adding up to enough differences to truly make two populations in to two different species. These populations are partially through that process, bot not completely, hence the massive interbreeding.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Wow, thank you for the informative posts!

I understand that selling hybrids, and by some people, breeding hybrids, is generally frowned upon. However, any responsible hobbyist who attempts to breed fish with the intent of later selling them isn't going to buy them from a hole in the wall fish store, let alone an assorted tank. That being said, do you guys think that, if circumstances require it, I could sell some of these hybrids back to the store? I might need to free up space if my tank becomes too crowded, so I need to know if I have that option. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

Last edited:

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They are healthy, colorful fish. This is exactly what people want. It is no different than the store buying them from a fish farm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store