ABN in heavy planted 72gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
I was thinking of getting a bristlenose pleco, regular or longfin, but Im not sure how much trouble they cause in a heavy planted tank. The target of my planted tank is that I will have 3 medium driftwood pieces, each covered in their own moss (christmas,flame,java) some java ferns glued on levels of the slate cave, and eventually foreground the whole tank with dwarf hair grass. The driftwood is not completely covered yet and there is space on the underside for them to grip to. Any thoughts on this?

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
bn plecos are great for planted tanks in a 72 you have plenty of room for a few of them. Be aware that if they dont like the amount of room they have under their chosen hiding space they will renovate to their liking.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
My experience with plecos in general is that they don't WANT to mess up your plants, but if you don't give them some room around their territory to wriggle freely, they sometimes accidentally uproot something. So plant heavily, just keep in mind that they need their space.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1^

i would do an ABN........personally bc i prefer albinos in planted tanks as they will stand out....BNs won't really stand out against DW, while ABNs will be seen;) you could even do a breeding pair..........and most likely you would see fry;) bc of all the plants;) any pics?

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
This is what my 72 bow front looks like right now. Haven't cleaned the algae off the front yet. And the bubble wall in the back is on and the filter is pushing bubbles throughout the tank. Normally this is on at night since I have a CO2 system running (DIY) not sure if u can see it in the back in the middle there. I have the air on right now because ick is in the tank, almost gone it seems. (treated with salt and heat) <<<crappy pic from phone>>>

<EDIT: ha, pic posted bigger than I though it would, you can clearly see the CO2 diffuser, lol>

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd let the hair grass get well rooted & other plants too. My BN accidently uprooted HM & small crypt transplants. A good addition though in many planted tanks & cute too.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
same here+^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store