Female Acei holding???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I am very new to Cichlids. I just set up my 125 gal last week. In fact, it is still cycling. I noticed today the one of the Acei females mouth is swollen. There isn't any growth or fungus. She is acting somewhat normal. She begs to eat but doesn't. Then goes back into the rocks. The male was chasing the other female away big time but today it has stopped. Is she holding??? Could it be an injury or illness??? The stocking for the tank is a blood red parrot, 4 yellow labs, 3 red tigers, 3 acei, 2 azuraus, 5 demasoni and a red tail shark on clean up duty!! I'd like more but like I said this is a brand new set up. I am waiting for it to balance out.

lukeaaustin

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2011
hey mate,
definately sounds like it! if you watch her for a few minutes you will also see her 'chewing', she constantly juggles the eggs about in her mouth to make sure they stay nice and clean and fresh. you may even be able to spy the eggs if you look close enough!

good luck bud.
luke.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
well I did a google search of a female acei holding and that is what she looks like. I can't believe it. My tank is so new. Wish me luck. I will post pictures in a bit!!

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Yep I can see her "chewing" haven't seen any eggs yet. I also witnessed the male doing the "wiggle" dance in front of her.

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
you may want to get more demasonis, like 7 more, any less the dominant male will tear the others apart until you only have one. congrats on the acei!
good luck!

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I do plan on getting more demasoni and yellow labs. I am waiting for my tank to cycle before I get anymore fish. I was shocked to see the Acei holding. I have been doing daily water changes at 50% to keep my levels down. The aggression right now it minimal. The Acei male was pretty bad now I know why. The ammonia levels are down to .05 now so we are getting there. I have had fish for many years and this is the first time that I have had a spawn. So I am very excited. Hoping for wigglers but not holding my breath. Taking one day at a time.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Just an update....The acei is still holding almost 2 weeks now and now I have an azureus holding too. It looks like one of my female demasoni's is plumping up too and the chase is on!! I would like to try and save some fry. What should I do?? I do have a grow out tank going with some koi angels from a breeder and snow white cichlids and yellow labs that I bought from a lfs. But no where to put holding females. What do you suggest??

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Keep track of when each female starts holding. I generally strip about 3 weeks after they start holding for peacocks and mbuna, the fry are pretty mature at that point. Do have an egg tumbler on hand in case they've still got a little bit of an egg sac attached. I leave my females in the tank until I strip them. The babies go into a 10g grow out, then a 20g and so on.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks Allison. I went on ebay and bought an egg tumbler. I hope it gets here in time. Oh and the ob peacocks are doing wonderful. I have them in with the other cichlids and so far no problems. I ended up with 1 male 2 females. The only one that bothers them is the red tail shark. Go figure!! and he doesn't bother anyone else. I can't believe I have eggs. This tank has only been set up a month. It hasn't even finished cycling yet. I am excited!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store