Algae crew for a 33 long planted tank with neons.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tank41

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Hey guys just curious what the best inhabitants would be to keep nuissance algae at bay in my tank. Neons only with plants.
Thanks.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Nerite snails, amano shrimp, ottos, bristlenose pleco. The nerites are really good for algae eaters, and amano shrimp are good because they occasionally nibble on BBA and hair algae. Ottos are good for diatoms, but they can be kind of sensitive, and need well established tanks and schools. BN plecos are cute and do a good job, but they poop A LOT. All of these are good with plants, just keep in mind that BN plecs need a cave and might accidentally uproot plants if not given enough clear space to explore and swim.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Nerite snails, amano shrimp, ottos, bristlenose pleco. The nerites are really good for algae eaters, and amano shrimp are good because they occasionally nibble on BBA and hair algae. Ottos are good for diatoms, but they can be kind of sensitive, and need well established tanks and schools. BN plecos are cute and do a good job, but they poop A LOT. All of these are good with plants, just keep in mind that BN plecs need a cave and might accidentally uproot plants if not given enough clear space to explore and swim.
+1^

:iagree: do i need to say more;)

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I've been pondering getting a 33 long for a bit now. Are you happy with the tank?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^yeah...have to agree. I added nerites to my 100g just for show but they work wonders if you're going to add something for algae control.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store