Guppy problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guppies123

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
My female guppy has gotten fat and is swimming vertically with her head up? What is the problem and how do I fix it?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
are her scales protruding in a pine cone type formation at all? if so, i would say she has dropsy, a highly fatal and contagious condition. euthanization is best if it is dropsy, and a complete disinfection of the tank and accessories will be needed.

could you post a photo or video of her? that would help us a lot. also, what did you last feed the tank, and when? are there male guppies in there too? what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph)?

Guppies123

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Thank you for your replies, here is a video, please click to watch:

I've also noticed white stuff at the edge of her fins. She seems pregnant, because today while I was taking the video I saw the eyes of the babies.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
she looks a bit deformed to me. has she always had that kink in her back?

i would say pregnancy is causing her a bit of trouble swimming. she should probably be ok after she pops out those babies.

the white fin edges, is it fuzzy at all? how often do you do water changes and what amount?

Guppies123

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
She came with that deformity when I got her from the breeder. The breeder said it was because of giving lots of fry.

The white at edges doesn't seem natural. I'm not sure if it's fuzzy, I need to check again.
My normal water change schedule is about 30% every week.

Right now she is still just swmming in one place with her head up and tail down like in the end of the video.

Now the other feels also seem like they're getting fat. The male looks a bit heavy from the stomach as well. Could a internal parasite cause this?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
She has a bent spine from poor nutrition, disease or genetics. She should have been culled and euthanized immediately. Bent spines are common in guppies with bad genetics and those ransacked by diseases. It is also symptomatic of having fish TB. Without testing, it is impossible to know which condition is the cause and as such, immediate euthanization is the correct action. Since you say she came from the breeder like that, it is an indication that the breeder does not know the species or can recognize issues. I would accept no fish from this person and would not call them a breeder.

White fuzz is indicative of having a fungal issue. I would treat the tank for the fungus and euthanize the deformed one. Not doing so can pass this condition on to subsequent offspring and weaken the gene pool.

Guppies123

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
I can see the babies eyes in her gravid spot. Though, she is still swimming vertically with her head up most of the time. She can only swim straight when she is swimming around and for short periods of time before she goes back to that position. I see really thin strand of white waste coming out of her. I have been treating for internal parasites. Is her swimming to do with pregnancy or something else? Should I wait to see if she will give birth or not?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It is due to the deformity possibly causing problems with the swim bladder. Having bred guppies, I have found this condition only once. I euthanized her along with any offspring she might have been carrying.

White feces is usually the first indication of an internal parasite. Curing the possible infection will not undo any damage already done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store