Help me set up a 125g tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
So, with all the crazy weather happening in the northeast recently, I unfortunately lost power for 4 days...for the second time within 2 months. I can always keep my ammonia levels down and such, but this time, the temperature was against us. I think I lost one of my biggest severum (9+") to stress/cold because he had some wounds from fighting.... And then the ammonia spiked and I ended up losing almost everyone in my big cichlid tank. =\

Anyhow, all of my other fish made it, including grow outs that were scheduled to be moved into that tank. So now, I'm taking a slightly different route, since a lot of the selective pressures were relieved, heh.

First, the stats. A 125g, 6' tank with low lighting, excellent over filtration (big cichlids and cats previously!). The grow outs that MUST move in are 2 severum (bonded, regularly breeding, will harass but not kill other fish), a SAE, 8 rainbowfish, and 4 juvenile wild caught convicts. I'm planning on planting this tank appropriately - I've found that while sevs and convicts like to chew on plants and rearrange them frequently, they do so more to certain soft species that tend to grow fast... So I'll be planting those way before the sevs get moved in, haha.

Im extremely open minded about the fish to get, but they have to be somewhat fast/tough to put up with cons and sevs. I'd prefer nothing that needs frozen/live foods;while I do provide them, it's kinda a pain if I'm travelling haha.
I also have a 46g tank that I'd like to put shrimp in, so I need to make it shrimp friendlier... So I was thinking I could move the shrimp-munchers to the 125. Those fish include: pearl gouramis, gold barbs, bleeding hearts, silver tip tetras, swordtails, and rainbows.

I was thinking that I'd love a school of something (I know the rainbows count, but a second) and my mother really loves angelfish. Any ideas on that front? I also love my oddballs, haha.

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
I have a school of Columbian Tetras in my 120G with 2 severum and a blue acara. The tetras were small when I got them, but now they are over 2 inches in length. They are very attractive fish- light blue with red trim and they school nicely. They are one of my favorite purchases.

I have an angelfish in there as well- he actually rules the tank. My acara backs down from him- and the acara had ruled the tank before I moved the angel there. I've had the angel for 3 years and he is quite large now- baby angels seem to be among the least hardy fish at the stores where I shop. If you can find a grown one, that might work. Sometimes people return them to pet stores when they outgrow their tanks and you can find a nice hardy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store