could i keep a female betta alone in a 2.5 gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
just wondering if she would get lonely not having a sorority? also, do the females have as much fin trouble as the males? about their tails splitting and what not? that is the main reason i am considering a female betta. the male i have now is always getting his fins hurt because they're so long & heavy. they always heal back but i feel so bad for him. i think that most time its the filter intake he gets too close to. i even put a sponge down in the intake pipe part but still parts of tail gets missing /split. idk, ive read some male bettas are biters too, kinda like ppl who r cutters, but ive nvr actually witnessed that behavior with mine. if the females are less prone to fin injury and are pretty much easy as males to care for then i prolly will only keep females in the future. thanks yall. brandy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
out of my three female bettas i had before, i never once had a fin problem on any of them. they all lived separately except for a short time when i tried to put them all in a sorority tank, but that failed. i think all three girls were too accustomed to living alone, and i ran into aggression issues. they were perfectly happy and healthy living separately after. one female ended up in my community 55 gallon and was happy in there too.

keeping a lone female in a 2.5 is fine. just ensure the tank is heated and filtered. a few live plants will make her very happy.

your male's fin issues may be due to a mild case of fin rot. how often and how much do you change his water? what are the readings for ammonia and nitrite?

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
his tank is filtered by a top mount one that came with the tank (aqueon brand 2.5 mini bow) i nvr change out the floss pad, just swish in old tank water. i have nvr used a heater cause our house stays 70 or above, and the tank stays aboit 72-75F. i cycled the tank with dr. tims one and only like 3 mos. ago. my readings are amm 0, ntri 0, ntra 40-80 API fredhwater master kit. i used to change 50% water once a week, but i thought it wasn't keeping his tank clean enough so now i do 100% once a week. when theres no more "floaters" when i stir up the gravels, i feel thats clean enough. idk, maybe it is fin rot but what more can you do. i already been adding 1 tsp aq. salt per gal to help his injuries heal, and nvr slack on water changes. i thought fin rot makes their fin edges appear black or red? usually if he gets hurt, his fins have clean "cuts" or solid pieces are just gone and its immediate, not gradual. however, on couple occasions, ive seen some mild rot after an injury (like the time he got trapped under the river stones substrate) everything i read about fin rot says it comes from not cleaning tank often enough or leaving one uncycled. and that clean water with some aq. salt supposedly cures it. i am new at this so any advice is greatly apprrciated. thanks. brandy

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
because a betta's fins are so thin, fin rot can set in very easily. i personally would not use salt to heal up fin rot. salt can aggrevate wounds, and IMO does not work well for rot. I always use 'Betta Revive' by Hikari. it works great.

but from what you are explaining - sudden chunks out of the fins - that is not rot. most likely he is snagging fins on something. posting a photo of his tank will help us determine what the culprit might be.

IMO 75 is a tad too cool for a betta. I wouldn't keep one any cooler than 77/78, unless lowering the temperature to keep any bacterial illness from proliferating during a treatment.

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
im pretty sure the culprit is the filter intake. i put a small piece of sponge in there but i had to leave a little bit of the intake open for the water to enter. still with the way it is now, the flow is greatly reduced as a result. as far as a heater goes, i just dont trust it not to burn him up (malfunction-wise)cause its only a 2.5 gal. plus i already heard horror stories from other ppl on this site. 72-75 is warm enough that he stays plenty active, unless it may be contributing to his injuries, i prolly wont add a heater unless he gets a bigger tank. i'll look for betta revive next time we go to knoxville cause its an hour drive away, and where nearest LFS is. thank u so much for the feedback. i believe that this will be the last male betta for me. do other ppl have this much trouble wiyh their male's fins?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
no, keep the filter going. much better to have a filter than having the betta in the equivalent of a bowl.

what kind of sponge are you using on the intake, and how exactly are you putting it on? a photo of how you have it set up would be good, and we could make recommendations on how to make it work better for you.

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
i used to have just a regular sponge cut small enough to fit in there. it wasnt treated with any chemicals like how some are to keep bacteria fr growin on it. tonight when i got home, i removed that sponge and inserted a piece of filter media floss stuff cut to fit. i been thinking about that all day since we corresponded earlier. this method works better, since now i can cover the entire opening of the intake, yet water can still flow through it. even the flow is the same as before with the sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store