I Love my Synodontis lucipinnis!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
They are just hanging in a holding tank right now waiting for me to make room for their bigger tank (40B is in it's spot right now). And I could watch their tank ALL day long, it doesn't need any other fish to make it interesting! They just wiggle all over the place. I wish I had gotten them years ago!!

Poor videos and slapped together tank but you get the idea. My Telmatochromis Temporalis "shell" makes a semi appearance in both videos too.

Video 1

Video 2

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Forgot I took these last night too. They love swimming in the current at the end of the tank. This end of their tank in right next to my desk so I get to look at these adorable wiggling bellies while I browse AC. :D

Sorry I can't get better pictures/videos but there is very little light on this tank so I have to use the flash.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Petricola have a denser pattern of smaller spots. I have both species in my group of adults, and can easily tell them apart. I see the adults in the 75 at feeding time, haven't seen the 8 juvies in the 220 since I put them in the tank.
Those are some fat, good-size young ones, look to be about another year to maturity.
I have 6 Syno multi fry in a net breeder, they were just released by the female cichlid a couple weeks ago. They're much more stubby, and have some really round bellies.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I am pretty sure they are lucipinnis because, although the pictures don't show it very well, their spot pattern is rather random and incosistent and they have the windows in theri fins. Both species have the white edging though.

Thanks for the confirmation on the ID Todd.

Thanks Mike.

Like I have said before though, whether they are petricola or lucipinnis or something else entirely I will love them just the same! :D I just wish I had better videos to showcase how great they are to watch!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i have 7 of the Petricola's and they hide all the time i just wish i could get some photos of them but they are still small right now..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Lovely pretty Synos!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yeah i have 7 of the Petricola's and they hide all the time i just wish i could get some photos of them but they are still small right now..
That is a shame but on par with what everyone told me about the syno cats in general, very reclusive. Maybe mine are so active because they only have 1 tankmate? I guess we will see what happens when they get some more neighbors.
Lovely pretty Synos!
Thanks.

BTW these guys are at least 2.75" now. I had them in my 72g by themselves for awhile and there was an amazing growth spurt!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
same here i have 5 and they stay in the rock pile. ill see a cute little face or a tail every now and again but they never actually come out. i think they come out more with age.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store