Do I NEED to have sand??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Buttercup

AC Members
Mar 6, 2004
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
I started cycling a 55 gal. with new white gravel before doing enough research...do I need sand instead of gravel in a Malawi tank?? :confused: The only fish I know for sure that I want are yellow labs, and down the road adding more. (maybe aulonocara)

Any thoughts??

Oscar_Wild

"Fish are friends, not food!"
Nov 27, 2002
Salina, KS
www.2-one.net
You will be fine with the gravel. I'm not fond of white substrate as I prefer darker colors. I have sand in some of my tanks, gravel in some, and bare bottom in others. Most fish don't care. The eartheaters (Geophagus, etc..) will prefer the sand though. The mbuna and peacocks don't care as long as they can clear a flat surface if they decide to breed. They are mouth brooders so they only need the flat surface for a short time.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Yes you don't need to have sand. I have gravel in all my tanks tanks(except my shell dweller tank).

But with white gravel you should know that it will quickly loose its ncie whiteness and becomes dirty looking and may even turn a bit green with algae. I prefer natural or darker gravels as they show the fish's color better and seems to make the fish feel more secure.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
i have a tank thats 2/3 black sand and 1/3 white gravel. looks pretty nice and the earth eaters seems to like it. the sand is kindof a pain to keep clean looking. you have to float the syphon a little over the bottom or u end up with all your sand getting sucked up.

Buttercup

AC Members
Mar 6, 2004
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses! I really like the look of sand so maybe I'll try that for my next tank. Also, I have heard that cichlids that like to dig can cut themselves up with gravel. I am planning on yellow labs, maybe some peacocks. What do you think?

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
What do you mean cut up? My Africans have never gotten "cut up," but they always put safety first. (zing!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store