Mbuna ID please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have a couple Mbuna kicking around the tank that I bought as certain breeds that I am now questioning whether they are actually the breed I purchased them as or some other breed.

I am not concerned if they are a different breed, more a curiosity than anything else...anyway, I apologize for the quality of the pics, I have been attempting pics of the tank with a decent point-and-shoot digital for a while and none seem to turn out too great...these were taken with my iPhone and these little guys just would not stop moving around LOL!

These first three pics are of the same fish, we had two, but lost one, so he is the only little guy of his coloration left in the tank. I bought this one along with a few that are clearly Perl Mutt (and purchased as such) and at first I assumed this was just another Perl Mutt, they were all fairly small when I bought them so the coloration was not as drastically different from the Perl Mutt at the time of purchase, but it is very different now.

The next three are of another fish in the tank, all three pics are the same fish (hope that makes sense, sounds funny when I read it back to myself, LOL). I purchased this one along with 2 others that look very similar in size, shape and coloration, but the other 2 are noticeably darker than this one ( I believe one of those two is currently holding). These three were purchased as Cynotilapia Afra (Jalo Reef), but I am not sure...all the pictures I have seen of Jalo show a very distinct difference between the dar and light colors of the vertical banding and they also show a very distinct yellow on the dorsal fin and tail. They do seem to have the shape of Jalo, but the coloration is throwing me off.

IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0265.JPG

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
looks like a juvie afra to me I have some who look somewhat like that too, they might be cobwe, thats what I have. good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store