ok diet for yellow tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
is this an ok diet for my tang?

i feed twice a day a small amount of nutrafin max flake food, and once a day julian spring's sea veggies purple seaweed.

this ok?

thanx

caz

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
should i maybe feed veggies only once every two days? i dont feed much, since there isnt alot of fish in the tank, just the tang and a fire goby.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Does most of the algae get eaten? If so, I wouldn't quit feeding daily. If not, I'd probably try smaller amounts of algae instead of not feeding it. Tangs have a very short digestive tract, and so need small meals more frequently than many fish. The greens are essential for their health-in my tank there is always green algae growing on the back wall that the tang snacks on in between feedings.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i do have green algae, but i have yet to see him munching on it. also, i have noticed a brownish spot on his right side. could this be something serious? doesnt seem to effect his behavior or eating habbits. could it be a scar?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Is it always there? What size is it? The yellow tangs are prone to changing color when stressed--getting very pale is common, and some darker blotches are frequently visible at the same time. Any pics?

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
no pic sorry, my camera is not that great, and he is still a little shy. the spot is not that big, maybe the size of a dime. when i first got him, he was very shy, and would hide alot, so i never got to get a good look at him. but since i added my new lighting, and the fire goby, he has been more active. maybe when i was rearranging the rock work, i scraped him? is this a serious thing(the discoloration) could he just have been stressed from the move, and now finally feeling comfortable in the tank? if anything, his behavior has improved, very very funny to watch him and the goby interact. seems as if he is trying to flirt with the goby, flexing his fins sort of speek :p

thanx

caz

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't worry about it. Most fish species have some color variation from individual to individual, and the brown spots are common on yellows. As long as behavior is good, and he's eating, should be okay. Do watch for small, pinhead sized spots--like ich, but black. Yellow tangs are very prone to this.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by OrionGirl
As long as behavior is good, and he's eating,
omg, he swims around "flirting" with the fire goby (i think hes a little confused)

and if he is eating good, i got two words for ya, OINK OINK!!!

hehe

thanx for your help

caz

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Caz,
the purple seaweed is great stuff. But If you have the room and time do something like this, a fuge would be great. I have a 75 gallon tank and I just ordered some macro alage from IPSF.com. They have a great deal and great customer service. The macro will go into a 55 gallon grow out tank. :) I am actually trying one of tom barr's deals and making a macro alage tank. Now if you tried something like this in a 10 gallon growing the macro and tossing this into your tank when you need to feed your tang would be a great healthy bonus for your fish. As stated before, tangs love to graze all day.
But if you have never checked it out, look at Indo-Pacific Sea Farms. They have really neat critters for sale there also.

jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store