Hap is holding eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
My red tailed hap female appears to be holding eggs. She stopped eating, and is hiding a lot and the male is acting less aggressive and his colors got less intense. She also seems to have the bulge in her throat. The female is about 3" and I am wondering if her and the male would be okay with the fry in a 15 gallon aquarium, or if I should isolate her in a 10 gallon aquarium. Any ideas? I have absolutely no experience breeding mouth brooding cichlids.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
nono dont put the male with her, they are heram breeders ( may have spelled that wrong ) there not a pair fish, single male needs a group of females. he will bug her ( stressing her out ) tell she either eats the eggs or dies or both. but yu can put her in the 15 by herself for awhile tell she spits.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
But then I will have to move the fry into the free 10 gallon afterwards, and move the male back into the 15 gallon with the female. It would be much less hassle to move the female into the 10 gallon tank and move her back. If I moved her with the eggs is she likely to swallow them or will it mess things up?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would take the male out and not her. As you say, she can swallow the eggs or spit them while catching her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store