Experience with panda garra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Anyone have experience with panda garra (garra flavatra)? I'm looking to get them if I get a bigger tank but have heard they are a nightmare once they get older, to each other and their tankmates.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had panda garras, neat fish! I had 4 but lost 3 in the first 3-5 months,some kind of dropsy thing. There was some chasing each other but nothing damaging (I think it may be garra ruffa? that are crabby). Very people interactive, the 1 I had for a couple years would sometimes nibble my hand & always came to see what I was doing in his fish room. Check out loaches.com, some people have had them breed. Definately a fish I want to keep again, I had them with botia histrionica.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yep, I looked on loaches.com but members don't really post there...
I may put them in my hillstream tank but not sure yet as I'm looking for other river fishes that are in the 3 to 4 inch range when grown that won't beat up my loaches.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I haven't owned them, but have looked into them quite a bit. I think they're actually supposed to be pretty mellow. Some of the other Garras are reputed to be nasty when mature, but not the Pandas. My LFS got some last week, but sold out before I could get a look at them! If they get more, I might consider. I'm pretty maxed-out stocking wise, but, well, I can always do more water changes :)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea, I read that some owners had a problem with their garra group while others said they were ok together. I just don't want the other loaches killed off and end up with only garras.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Haha, true but my PO doesn't ship fish unless I drive 45 min. to the downtown one. I do have a friend who goes to SF every weekend though...
I think I will try them out. Get them young and raise with the loaches.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. I have several different species of hillstream loaches in my tank with a breeding pair of Garra Flavatra and have had zero issues. The Garra are not aggressive toward any other fish in the tank at all. Don't hesitate to add them to your tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store