Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 3:21 PM
    50, 100, and 150 watt Aqueon heaters have a thermal fuse inside them. If they overheat (such as running dry) the fuse burns out and the heater is dead. The light will come on but it will no longer heat. Sounds like this is what is happening here. Did you forget to unplug the heater during a water change anytime recently? That would do it.

I would suggest using an Aqueon Pro heater which is made of unbreakable plastic and aluminum and comes with a thermal switch (the switch will reset when the heater cools down after an overheat). Or you could just go back to the Aqueon glass heater and remember to unplug it before doing a water change.

Andy

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    George
    Last Activity
    04-16-2014 10:19 PM
    Personally I use 2 heaters in about every tank at half the wattage. At least if one fails the other will keep the temperature reasonable. If they stick closed it can't overheat the tank.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ritap
    Last Activity
    03-21-2014 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal72 View Post
    50, 100, and 150 watt Aqueon heaters have a thermal fuse inside them. If they overheat (such as running dry) the fuse burns out and the heater is dead. The light will come on but it will no longer heat. Sounds like this is what is happening here. Did you forget to unplug the heater during a water change anytime recently? That would do it.

I would suggest using an Aqueon Pro heater which is made of unbreakable plastic and aluminum and comes with a thermal switch (the switch will reset when the heater cools down after an overheat). Or you could just go back to the Aqueon glass heater and remember to unplug it before doing a water change.

Andy
    i don't think so........and even if i did.......my WCs are a bit diff. on small tanks like 10Gs

So i empty 1/2 of it, but while i do so, i fill a 5G bucket with water.........and the heater is FULLY submerged at least 5" below water line........so with those odds, 1 out of 10 times it would be out of water for 30 seconds........this is what i do for all my tanks.......under 29Gs.............

i will take a look at the aqueon pro

i haven't ordered yet bc i forgot
    tonight or in a few hours

i think maybe that is what happened^ but im not sure

i have done this with my 100 watt aqueon and nothing has ever happened
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfFrozen View Post
    Stop thinking like a smart person!!!!! lol Pfft! Dubstep is the best thing since sex! Sorry... just wanted to take your ears virginity with some of those artists drops... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkxx View Post
    Skrillex and pendulam give everyone eargasms, so I'll give you that.
    But some of it sounds like a transformer beating the crap out of a dolphin...

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ritap
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
    Personally I use 2 heaters in about every tank at half the wattage. At least if one fails the other will keep the temperature reasonable. If they stick closed it can't overheat the tank.
    yeah, good idea I will keep the replacement from aqueon as a backup
    Stop thinking like a smart person!!!!! lol Pfft! Dubstep is the best thing since sex! Sorry... just wanted to take your ears virginity with some of those artists drops... lol

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ritap
    Last Activity
    i think im going with this
    http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-Aq...1921675&sr=1-1

i'll put it on my 72G and then switch the others to the next smallest tank
    that way all my tanks will be set for cold nights

i am getting a replacement soon

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ritap
    Last Activity
    k, ordered the heater thanks.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 3:21 PM
    "i don't think so........and even if i did.......my WCs are a bit diff. on small tanks like 10Gs

So i empty 1/2 of it, but while i do so, i fill a 5G bucket with water.........and the heater is FULLY submerged at least 5" below water line........so with those odds, 1 out of 10 times it would be out of water for 30 seconds........this is what i do for all my tanks.......under 29Gs............."

In any case a blown thermal fuse is the reason your heater is not working. No other cause can achieve the same result.

It's a good idea to unplug any aquarium heater BEFORE you start draining the tank. That's just good safety advice.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information