Female? building nest.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
I know I just posted, but I'm fairly new to keeping Betta's and have 'googled' and found that sometimes females can make nests, and sometimes there not female. I'm fairly sure she is a female, she was in a sorotiy tank when I got her, seems to show her ovipositor but I'm just not 100% If I know what I am looking for.
here is some pics if anyone can help a newbie out?

009.JPG020.JPG016.JPG

She is temporarilly in the 1.5 gal till qt'd and will be moved into a 4 ft once cycled.

009.JPG 020.JPG 016.JPG

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
100% female
they make nests..if she gets to full with eggs she will expel them her self and put them in the nest ..they will not be furtle with out a male and will be eaten by her or need to be removed before they rot.

iv had a few females do this.

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
OK, thanks for your help, I have a male who built a nest a week ago but since water change he hasn't done it again, he wont spawn in her nest would he?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
OK, thanks for your help, I have a male who built a nest a week ago but since water change he hasn't done it again, he wont spawn in her nest would he?

ahh maybe..when i was breeding bettas i had males that refused to blow nests when i had them in the breeding tanks..so i would take a table spoon and scoop out part of another males nest and give it to him to help him start building his..so maybe or she/he will destroy if it is not there own..so its hit and miss.

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
no worries, I may try giving him part of her nest first and see if he builds on it, thanks for you advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store