Pleco wanted.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
Hey guys, I didn't get much traffic in the other section, so this is what I'm trying to find, somewhere from 3-10+Pleco that I can breed in my 55gal, I want this to be a breeding group, so I want them to be a big enough size that they will spawn.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well if you want anything special a breeding size/group will cost you some $$. Someone in the marketplace sells some L144 breeding for like $150 (for a pair)? (also it seems L144 are some of the less expensive "desirable" plecos) Why not buy juvies and just wait for them to develop? You could buy a whole bunch for the price of a pair, also are you properly set up to breed the plecos in your tank to get any real spawn size? Are they the only things in there (dont have to be but cant have some fish or they will eat up the babies)? Is there real driftwood in your tank for them to eat? A breeding cave? I have a few plecos in my 75gallon, two of which I got when they were 1" and I never see them because even at 1" the fish (in a tropical community with platys, BB mollies, killies) attack them to the point they just go and hide. Just things to consider, breeding always sounds like fun but unless you have the time, resources, and sometimes know-how it may not be what you are expecting. Also note if the plecos arnt the only things in there you may need/want to have a separate grow out tank as well to put them in if you catch them before they are eaten

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
I have a grow out tank and am getting a few more. I am thinking of getting rid of my platies and rams. I have ordered caves and driftwood.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Also keep in mind that you need a place to take the babies. Once you get a pair started, they really won't stop unless you seperate them. Am talking like babies and babies and more babies,. And male bns are territorial, so you should have plenty of space between the caves. And also, more caves than fish, because once the babies are free swimming, they will leave them in a cave, and move to another one and start again. I have 3 breeding males, and not sure how many females, plus even though I try to catch all the babies, I seem to miss a few, so they grow up a bit more, which my LFS likes, lol. I just let them grow out in the same tank with the parents, I lose some to my rope fish, but most make it so its ok.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
One male and two female - at best for a colony.
Tell that to my breeding colony of 11 L-134, my breeding colony of zebras, now 11 in the past 13, to my breeding group of 5 contradens.

The best pleco breeder I know uses colonies of 10-20 fish, but he has much more space than I do.

Normally the prine considerations for breeding groups is there is sufficient space and cover for them and that there are as many or more females than males.

yayfish24

AC Members
Jan 6, 2012
To me a colony would consist of more then 3 fish maybe 10 or more. BN are very easy to breed and occasionally your lfs might get in adults. I purchases 2 female bn and 1 male and the male was guarding eggs only asfter 4 days of being in my tank. Im working on getting a lager group to go in my 75 and have a bunch breeding. My lfs is willing to take the young for a small amount of store credit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store