Red-eared slider expert advice requested...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
:swear:

So I had went about and changed the tank maintenance routine for the red-eared sliders we have at work (1 per 200g tank, a 6" and an 8")... then the animal's boss-lady takes the little turtle to the vet, and he tells her to start rinsing out the filter with tap water every 2 weeks!

I had just got them to stop that routine to preserve the bio-filter!!! (sponge in waterfall pump)...

Am I wrong here? Is shell-algae a terrible affliction? Is there any reputable turtle sites cause I can't find any.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
IMO there is no need for any "Bio filtration" when you are keeping turtles. I have been keeping RES for over 10 yrs and I rinse out my filter(s) with the hose about every two weeks..

They are not fish, there is no reason to cycle a tank before adding them or even keeping it cycled for that matter..

You could bleach everything, including the filters every day and it would have no adverse affects on your turtles..

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks... I guess that makes sense. The 'creek' beside where I work is about 10x as toxic as when they declared the great lakes officially dead... and yet I still see wild western painted turtles and their babies! Party hardy turtles...

Would you see the algae-shell as threat or peaceful coexistance?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
If you guys have algae problems then it sound like you need to upgrade your filtration and do more water changes.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
okay thanks guys... one more complicating factor, even though it is a 200gal, there is only about 30gal water in there... and sometimes there can be 1-24 goldfish-feeders for our 2 16" pike... so I was thinking that for the fishies a good biofilter would be better than their routine of rinsing out the filter with tap water every 2 weeks...

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
See, you didn't say that there were fish in there along with the turtles. 2 16" pike, 24 feeders and two turtles? Or is it the feeders in that tank and the pike in another? Either way, you likely don't have enough filtration for that bioload. 24 feeders plus two turtles in 30 gallons of water is asking for issues. Adding pike to that volume will just make things worse.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
It was the feeders with the turtles, the pike have their own 300gallon where they get fed about 5 feeders each twice a week. So haha, I was right about the turtle tank needing biofiltration! Take that animal lady and vetrinary misadvice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store