Brush hair algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
I've had an outbrake of brush hair algae in my planted 125 gallon tank thats really started to go nuts over the last 2-3 weeks. The internet is less than encouraging about the prospects of getting rid of it so I'm looking for advice.

That tank is 9 months old, heavily planted, CO2 injected, pH controlled at 6.6 (calculated 30 ppm CO2 or so), temp 80.5, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites all 0, 30% water change every 10-14 days, 3 Eheim 2217 filters, modified PPS Pro liquid fertilizer routine. Same ferts for 6 months.

Here's some shots...
11-26-11 051.JPG11-26-11 045.JPG

Note the brush hair algae on the edge of this red ozelot leaf...
11-26-11 047.JPG

The only thing that is different recently is I added a surface skimmer to get rid of a greenish oily haze that would develop over the course of a week or so. The surface of the water is now crystal clear. Could I have upset the lighting balance with this. CO2 shouldn't be different as I'm pH controlling. Admittedly, the skimmer could be off gassing CO2, but the controller would just run the CO2 system more. No change in pH since installing skimmer.

Any thoughts or successful techniques would be appreciated.

11-26-11 051.JPG 11-26-11 045.JPG 11-26-11 047.JPG

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
I think the low nitrate is clearly a problem. I ran for a week, and before my water change, the nitrates were only 10. I have CO2 injection on a pH controller holding the pH at 6.6. With a kH of 5, that gives me a CO2 of 37 ppm. I have 160 watts of T5 light 8 hours/day, with a 2 hour 320 watt mid-day period. I don't think CO2 of light is limiting. I was dosing PPS-Pro, but I think it wasn't providing enough nitrates and this was nutrient limiting the plants. Due to the high light and CO2, I have changed to E.I. Dosing to increase the available nutrients. I also got rid of my huge Red Ozelot and pruned the affected leaves heavily. We'll see how this helps.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
No nitrates is perfectly common in a heavily planted tank. There are many things that people say cause it, high phosphates (which is now supposedly just a myth) and fluctuation of CO2 levels are among the most common. Are you testing your CO2 levels? My first thought was skimmer gas off as well, it's really a pain to eradicate (some would say nearly impossible).

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Essentially checking CO2 leves via pH an kH chart. PH 6.6, dKH 5 gives a CO2 around 37 ppm. The pH is controlled so shouldn't fluctuate. I see pHs of 6.6 to 6.8 at times, but the CO2 kicks in when needed. Functions C2 shouldn't be a problem. I'll see with the fert change plus getting rid of my red ozelot. It dominated the central tank and block a lot of light from getting below it.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
BBA does not occur from nitrate levels. It simply doesnt.

BBA is a light/co2 issue. you either have too much light or too little co2. Double check the calibration on your ph meter and make sure you have proper co2 levels. What lights are you using on that tank?

If i had to speculate about the cause of this, i will tell you that you have too much light.

Also, you might want to up your dosing a bit more because you should have some noticeable nitrate in the tank.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Checked the ph yesterday with liquid test kit. 6.6 to 6.8 to my eyes. Confirms setting on pH probe. Checked KH, it was 5, maybe 6. That's a CO2 around 37 ppm. Maybe it's too much light? I have 4 T5 60 inch bulbs at 80 Watts/each. Run 2 for 3 hours, then all 4 for 2 hours, then othe 2 for 3 hours. Total time is 8 hours. Changing to EI to try to increase available nitrates. Worried this is limiting. We'll see I guess.

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
I had actually just become aware of BBA on some of my moss yesterday. Its not much but what I had come up with after scouring the net is to try dosing Flourish Excel on the plants infected with it. SAEs and Rosy Barbs also apparently feast on it, so maybe after correcting any light/Co2 issue you can try one of these?

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I came across some of those things too. Doesn't sound easy, whatever you do. I think I'll spot dose with excell at some point, but I'd like to balance things out and get it under control first. Then I'll hit what's left. Also, I did just add in 6 SAE's and they appear to be eating away. Thanks again.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I think that you might have too much light.
How tall is the 125 gallon tank?
are they set up like this: = = or: - - - -

if they are = = i would only run - - for a full 8 hours a day. If you are a firm believer in the noontime high light thing, keep all 4 on for no more than an hour. If they are - - - - (lets label them 1 2 3 4) I would run 1 and 3 for 4 hours and then 2 and 4 for 4 hours. This will keep your whole tank lit pretty well.

also, your wallet will thank you when you receive your electric bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store