new cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidman123

AC Members
Nov 28, 2011
I just put three new juvenile fish in my tank so now i have a venustus, golden mbuna, peacock cichlid, and electric yellow cichlid in a 30 gallon setup. They seem to get along perfect. I dont see a dominant fish they just each picked a territory and chase eachother away from their choice spots. The electric yellow seems to shake and rub against rocks but i noticed it does this in the territory it chose. can this mean ick or just a territorial display??

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Usually when a fish flashes against an object it either means a parasite or wrong water perimeters if you do not see the parasites like Ich then i would say your water is off balance usually with the Hardness being the culprit check your Hardness with a liquid test kit, the values you will need to check is Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, PH and Hardness..

But the fish you chose especially the Venustus and the Peacock probably will not work out in a 30gal when they start to reach maturity not sure on a Golden Mbuna never heard of that one before probably a nick name of sorts, but if you want to add a few more Yellow Labs and remove the others you would be ok probably on the lines of 1 Male and 2 to 3 Female Yellow Labs aka Electric Yellow cichlid..

I would recommend a normal African Cichlid community in nothing less than a 55gal more being better like a 75gal..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store