Blue's Ecoxotic Cube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
This is the upgrade from my BC 14. I finally got it all set up. Everything went pretty well but I've already lost 2 fish to jumping through a hole in the glass top. I'll be working on a screen top soon but for now it's just my little springeri damsel. He gets to stay because he eats flatworms and evidently has not found a reason to commit suicide.

ANYWAY pictures!
fulltankDec.jpg

cornershot.jpg

And some corals. Some of them were unhappy because I had been moving things around 10 minutes before.
sparklyblues.jpg
green.jpg
froggie.jpg
eagles.jpg
blueshroom.jpg

And the Specs for those that are interested.

Ecoxotic 18" cube
Removed Bioballs
Purigen
Carbon
Cheato growing in chamber 2

Equipment

Stock Skimmer (currently not running)
Koralia 245
2 12k/445 mn Panorama pro LED strips
1 445nm/Magenta Panorama Pro LED strip
1 453nm Blue Stunner
1 403nm Ultraviolet Stunner

20 lbs mixed Fiji Pink sand and Reef Grade sand
20lbs of LR

Stocking

Fish

Springeri Damsel

Inverts

1 Emerald Crab
Blue Leg Hermits
1 White hermit
1 Red Serpent Starfish
1 Blue tuxedo Urchin
Nassarius snails
Dwarf Ceriths
Florida Ceriths
Zig Zag Periwinkle snails

Corals

LPS

Pink Tipped Hammer
Bicolor Frog Spawn
Duncan Coral
Hitch Hiker Plate Coral
Softies

Red Mushrooms
Blue Mushroom
Orange Ric with Green Mouth
Blue Snowflake Polyps
GSP
Xenia
Green Bay Packer Zoas (Go Pack Go!!)
Eagle Eye Zoas
Blue Zoas
Bam Bams
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
UnIDed red/pink Zoas
Teal RIngs
UnID Green Zoas
Blue Ice Zoas
Armor of the Gods
Green Palys
Blue Palys
Purple Death

NPS

Sun Coral

Future Stocking

Yellow Headed Jawfish
Either another purple firefish or a Helfrichi Firefish
Black clownfish

fulltankDec.jpg cornershot.jpg sparklyblues.jpg green.jpg froggie.jpg eagles.jpg blueshroom.jpg

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Sorry about your losses, the tank looks good though

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
It does look wonderful! Did you find the transition from FW to saltwater difficult? I can't believe I've been in the hobby for about 10 years now and still haven't tried SW.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
^its really not bad and the availability of things like AIO reef tanks really makes it easy to get into the hobby (financially and mentally). Just do your reading like you would in the freshwater section, and ask us any specific questions you may have and we can get you moving along in the wonderful world of salt tanks!

OP, the tank looks wonderful! Sorry about your carpet surfers :( I know losing fish can be rough.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Platy: It wasn't that hard for me, I was lucky enough to have a 20 long available. The trick is not getting so angry at the pests that you leave ;)

Blue: Awesome tank! Sad that your fish decided they didn't like it though, at least the corals don't seem unhappy.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
looks incredible, I doubt I will ever do SW as it just looks so much hard work and far too technical. Very impressive looking tank however!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Love it, great job! Sorry about the fish losses. Lots of links out there for screen tops and BRS sells the 1/4" screen material if you need it. Greta choice with the substrate and the future stock list looks good too!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks all :)

I'm very happy with the tank. I was bummed at first with the loses but we have a saying in my fish club" Fish Die, Glass Breaks, in the end it's more tank space!"

The transition to saltwater wasn't that bad. Once I finally made the move I found it to be pretty simple. The biggest thing is GO SLOW. There is no room for error and nothing good happens fast. I've stuck with easy corals so maintenance is pretty easy.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
yeah corals are way easier for me than fish.. it's good to see others doing led too. oh yeah, flatworm exit the tank. they'll never end till you do, the damsel wont do much.. the only critter that did good for me was the velvet nudibranchs.. but they commit suicide too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store