dwarf african frogs with betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishesRWishes

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
No. In a 5g, you can keep pretty much only a betta and a shrimp or a snail.

Don't know if you could keep just the frogs in the 5g, as I don't know much about frogs.

Also I imagine the frogs would really, really bother the betta.

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
the frogs only need 1 gallon each and have very small bioload. plus the frogs breathe air. that would leave 3 gallons for the betta. in fact, the frogs were being sold in a tiny display that looked like one of those tiny, fish store betta bowls. how would they bother the betta cause the frogs barely moved except to breathe air?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
It really depends on the personality of the betta and the frog. I have a female ADF in with my male betta in a 3 gal and they do fine...for the most part; they just ignore each other. They DO, however, compete for food and the betta tends to get the better of it since the ADF is a much slower eater. The ADF doesnt get to eat as much as the betta, which has caused my feeding to be much more difficult since I have to supervise and intervene with the turkey baster. Bettas dont know when to stop and can die from overeating and Shogun (betta) will continue to try to eat Zen's (ADF) food even after he has already probably had too much. I would not recommend getting a long finned betta since my female ADF does have a tendency to view his flowing fins as prey and latch on to them every now and again, which results in occasional torn fins. Also, even though the ADF's themselves have a low bioload, they are messy eaters and you will have to work to keep the leftover food from becoming both water fouling and betta food. I do half gallon water changes every other day.

I have read that some bettas will attack and kill an ADF, though... It really just depends on the personality of your fish. Some bettas can have tankmates and others need to be alone.

Something else to consider: ADF's need lots of cover. While they can have great personalities and do lots of funny stuff, they also can be boring a lot of the time, either hiding or just chilling out. I've found the best way to enjoy watching Zen is to provide lots of floating plant cover so that she comes to the surface by the glass. Also, they are fast. They can and WILL make lunch out of fish smaller than them and are much less active and hide much more when kept with fish same sized or larger than them. Keeping them with a betta, while interesting to watch them interact, is probably not the best way to keep them. I will, eventaully, be getting Zen her own environment because I think they will both be happier that way.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Another note: make absolutely sure that what you are getting is an ADF and not an ACF. African clawed frogs look just like ADF's when they are babies and some pet stores sell them as ADF's cause they dont know any better. An ACF will get VERY big and will catch and eat any fish it can. A betta would be just a snack for it. Also, ADF's do NOT come in albino, so if it is white, it is definitely an ACF.

Good luck!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
thanks so much guys for all the info. i believe i will pass on the frogs for now, on account that mostly i was looking into a tankmate for mr. betta. after reading about ur experience vwill279, im gonna pick up a mystery snail instead the next time i go to fish store. thank u again for the input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store