tumor? parasite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kkifer

the one with the soggy cuffs
Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
My albino redfin shark has something at the base of his tale. I first noticed a dark spot there about 6 months ago. Now it is the size of a kidney bean and bulges out on both sides. It doesn't seem to bother him. Since he is so translucent, I can see that it is very solid and dark, so it doesn't seem like an infection.

Got any ideas?
albino-redfin-shark.jpg

albino-redfin-shark.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
prolly not a tumor since it's equal on both sides,but keep an eye on it.. looks like a hemotoma to me

kkifer

Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
Hematoma sounds right, now that I've looked that up. So that would be a broken blood vessel, and I can hope that it seals up by itself and the blood gets reabsorbed. Otherwise I suppose it will eventually break the skin and cause infection. Glad to hear it doesn't look like a parasite - that idea had me freaked out.

thanks

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I believe that is a tumor called Caudal/peduncle disease. Don't know how to treat it.

Treatment and Control:
Raising water temperatures seems to help slow down the progression of this disease. The two antibiotics of choice for treating this disease are Doxycycline Hyclate, or Oxytetracycline (Terramycin). A 14 day treatment at the elevated temperatures is suggested, along with an anti-fungal treatment (Griseofulvin) to prevent fungal spores from invading the wounds. Combine the two ingredients and treat the fish once a week for two weeks

Last edited:

kkifer

Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
I looked up caudal/peduncle disease and that seems to be "fin rot" which I'm sure this isn't. The skin has been perfect, although it is showing stress now from the bulging.

kkifer

Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
Now almost 2 months later, a follow up on my poor fish... he died last night. The lump finally cracked the skin, which turned red and that's when the fish started to slow down. I did an autopsy so see what the lump was. Definitely not a parasite, and not an accumulation of blood. It looked like a meaty mass, with a few small white nodules. So I guess that is a tumor. A very slow growing one.

He was a beautiful fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store