pleco with cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidman123

AC Members
Nov 28, 2011
I have a 80 gallon tank with 4 juvenile africans, a venustus, golden mbuna, yellow lab, and a mixed peacock. I wanted to get a leco but wasnt sure which kind of pleco would be able to live with my cichlids without getting its eyes taken out as i heard many cichlids do to plecos. Any suggestions on a species of pleco??

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Plecos with African cichlids can be a hit or a miss. My pleco lived 9 months with my mbunas, until they grew up and made him starve to death. It was a bristlenose pleco; some people think it is the best pleco for an African cichlid tank.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i need some Rubber-nose Plecos actually i would love to have some Pit Bull Plecos which i believe are the same type of Pleco.. cannot find them though here local..

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
I have a Common pleco with mine, He has done great, notice some "scuffle" marks every so often, granted hes about 4 inches bigger than the Africans and always has been (bigger), so maybe thats why they dont pick with him too much!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i agree if you get a pleco get one that is much bigger than the Africans..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store