NEW BETTA WITH FIN ROT HOPING I DID THE RIGHT THING

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Last week I bought a new betta he seemed fine up until a few days ago. My tank is cycled did a good water change before putting him into the tank he is in a 3 gallon elite with heater and filter. Last couple of days he just seemed to be sluggish he ate the flakes I fed him but just not that active. I took a better look at him and he appears to have the start of what looks like fin rot. His fins look like they are getting ragged and saw some white on the tips.

I did a water change tonight took at a little more than half the water out did a good gravel vac added fresh dechlorinated water a little less than a teaspoon of salt and added some API fungicure to the water as directed. The filter does not have carbon in it so I left it. Almost immediately noticed a change in him he is swimming around more active now. Hopefully I can cure this I never had a fish with fin rot so crossing my fingers. I have to wait 48 hrs do a 25% water change and then add more API fungus cure and more salt to the tank. The box says the med does the trick with two doses. Guess will wait and see. He is so pretty and I don't want to lose him. I named him Maximus.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've never use fungus cure to treat fin rot. the med that has worked for me every time i've had to deal with betta fin issues is Betta Revive by Hikari. love the stuff!

having said that, switching up meds often during treatment can cause a lot of stress to a fish, so i would continue on with what you are doing and see if it helps. if it doesn't work, give your betta a few days in just clean non medicated water, and then try the Revive.

also, meds work best when they are administered daily with a large water change. meds break down quickly in water, and to get the best results, i do at least a 75% water change and re-administer the meds. remember - only add back enough meds for the amount of water you changed, to avoid an overdose.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
salt treatment.. cover the guy in salt, then trow him into a shallow tank. it will seal any open wounds and disinfect, though he will act like he died at first

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
IMO salt will aggravate fin rot, and 'cover the guy in salt' is definitely not something i would recommend! many people could take that the wrong way and literally douse a fish in salt while out of water. yikes!

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
it's drastic but if you need to close a wound in a fish its fast and simple... how will salt aggrivate fin rot? the fungus and bacteria die a whole lot faster in salt than a betta will. if it's too drastic then a saltwater dip can suffice

mind you the salt dip method is what is used commonly in asia where they fight them. I don't but the method is time tested

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
ever put salt on an open wound? major aggravation and pain. i understand that the end of a betta's fins do not have the pain receptors that our skin has, so the pain aspect isn't there, but the aggravation factor is. i've tried salt once to help fin rot and the fin rot just got worse. i know it was the salt because the tank was pristine (three times daily 100% water changes) and the only changing factor was the salt before the rot got worse. with the Betta Revive i mentioned, i've had 100% cure rates when using it for fin rot, and i've used it multiple times on different bettas.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok glad to report I came home last night and the betta is doing much much better! Tonight his color is back to blue and he is more vibrant. The fungus cure is working I did add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water with the first water change and will do another water change a good amount to insure when I redose with the med again that I don't overdose. I am just so happy I caught it in time. Hoping his fins continue to heal. Thanks for the advise though truly appreciated it :).

dbro

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2012
This is my first post to Aquaria Central and I'm really hoping I can get some help from experts!

My bettas also have fin rot - I've had each of them on Betta Revive for 6 days with 50% water changes daily. I have a couple questions:
1) How do you know if it is working? It's hard to tell through a visual inspection alone!
2) My local fish shop owner said that it would be okay to give them a second 7-day dosage of the Betta Revive (so the total would be 14 days on this medicine), even though the packaging says to go 7 days and find another treatment if there are no results. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
This is my first post to Aquaria Central and I'm really hoping I can get some help from experts!

My bettas also have fin rot - I've had each of them on Betta Revive for 6 days with 50% water changes daily. I have a couple questions:
1) How do you know if it is working? It's hard to tell through a visual inspection alone!
2) My local fish shop owner said that it would be okay to give them a second 7-day dosage of the Betta Revive (so the total would be 14 days on this medicine), even though the packaging says to go 7 days and find another treatment if there are no results. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Often you will notice some of the fin growing back and they will stop losing fin in areas. In other words, it doesn't get worse.

You may want to start a new thread on this rather than adding it to an older thread. You may get more results. I can't help you with the Betta Revive since I only treat new betta's with fin rot with lots of water changes and just a tad bit of salt in the water. Someone with experience with this product may be able to help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store