HELP! SAND BOA NOT EATING

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
On October 20th i bought a nice sized sand boa, she is about 17 or so inches. I gave it several days after bringing her home to attempt feeding. I used a frozen fuzzy mouse that i thawed by sticking its bag in hot water for 15 minutes. She refused to eat it. She has still refuse and despite my trying every few days, there is no luck. I finally found a source of live food, which is what the store I had bought her from (not in my local area) fed her. She still hasnt eaten the live pinkie and shows no interest. It has been over a month, and im really worried. she shed 2 weeks ago so i dont think that that is the case as her shed went over well. She remained pretty fat looking, but i can see that slowly starting to go away. Im really concerned and need advice. Ive attempted putting her in a box with the pinkie and leaving it dark, no dice. Ive tried wiggling the dead ones, and even the live ones in front of her with no luck either.:help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Is she warm enough? I'd try a live frog, sort of doubtful that sand boas usually eat mice in the wild.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I am also wondering if you are keeping her warm enough. I would try kicking up the temp a bit. As well as adding some sort of heat source for the night as well, such as a ceramic heater

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I thought ceramic heaters were bad? I have an undertank heated that i use.

where do i get a live frog to feed to a boa???

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
oh i gotcha, does that thing emit light? because i live in a dorm the tank is like 5 feet from my bed

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
nope CHE onlly produce heat no light, also skip the frog it's because i highly doubt it going to eat it (it not a hog nose). but it would be helpfull to know the exact temp of the warm side of the tank? also how do you have the tank set up? i honestly wouldn't worry too too much because it's not unheard of of them going of feeding a f a couple of months at a time.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
also find out from the store when the bugger ate last

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Doesn't have to be a tree frog, any suitable size frog will do, I used to collect wood frogs for feeders occasionally. How big is the sand boa?
Ozymandius: hognose snakes are the only ones that eat toads; frogs are fair game for pretty much any species of snake.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
a sand boa..dunno if a desert species will eat frogs.. maybe a lizard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store