Can you help me identify this saved-from-Walmart tadpole?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

n_narc0tic90

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2011
We'd like to know what kind of amphibian we're going to be raising over the winter months!

My boyfriend and I were doing a general shopping trip, and as always passed by the fishtanks. We noticed they had a tadpole in one of the tanks, so we asked an associate what the situation was... The tadpole had been sent to them on accident with a shipment of large goldfish. Since we already had a small terrarium set up, (and since the tadpole didn't seem like it was surviving very well in the fully filtered fishtank with nowhere for it to rest at but the bottom) we asked to take it home.
We have had it for several weeks now and have noticed very little but slight changes. His back legs have gotten longer and developed more definite toes and webbing, tail is a little bit shorter, but other than that it has been a very slow changing process.
He's fairly large, about 4" long or so. He seems to be a fairly solid color with no other markings to distinguish him by...Olive green with a white belly.

Any ideas or suggestions?
100MEDIA95IMAG0363.jpg
100MEDIA95IMAG0361.jpg

100MEDIA95IMAG0363.jpg 100MEDIA95IMAG0361.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
99% of the time that will be a bullfrog, the 1% usually ends up as a leopard frog spp

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
99% of the time that will be a bullfrog, the 1% usually ends up as a leopard frog spp
99% of the time it's a Green Frog, Pig Frog, or a Leopard Frog. Bullfrog tadpoles are fairly rare as contaminants.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
out here it's all we get in california, we are allowed the bullfrog tadpoles but not the actual frog itself.. different state, different laws.. just saying what I've know running petstores for the last 15 years
in california the here are the restricted species which require permits as far a possible suspects for a tadpole
(25) Northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens)
(26) Southern leopard frog (Rana yutricularia)
(27) Rio Grande leopard frog (Rana berlandieri)
(28) Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Here on the east coast the stuff comes out of FL so your natives down there are Southern Leopards, Greens and Pigs. When we do get the occasional Bullfrog they're easy to id, particularly at this time of the year. Any tadpole that doesn't have legs by now pretty much has to be a Bullfrog!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
There used to be an LFS called Pet Safari down here, those "wogs" used to be fairly common...I think they brought them in on purpose, or perhaps raised them (they did raise their own feeder mice and such)

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I agree, it's most likely a Bullfrog tadpole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store